Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best EPs in Canada?

Posted by montos 
Best EPs in Canada?
October 30, 2023 01:18PM
Hi all,

I don't come to this forum much these days. I had a successful Bordeaux ablation in June 2015 and it has been holding ever since. At the time, I had spoken to multiple people (mostly members of this group) that had ablations done in Alberta Canada where I live and none of the stories were very positive. Multiple ablations and still no resolution was the most common outcome. As a result, I decided to pay the money and go to France. No regrets there.

I now find that there are two people I know that have recently developed afib in their early 50's and don't have the Bordeaux option. One of these people has had two ablations in the last year and is still experiencing episodes. They are telling her that she will "just have to live with it".

1) Are there suggestions for top Canadian EPs somewhere on the page? I am out of the loop on this.
2) Does anyone have experience with seeing an EP in another province? How difficult is this?

Thanks in advance!

Monty
Re: Best EPs in Canada?
October 30, 2023 05:46PM
If the person in mind has the option to go to another province, such as BC, Dr. Paul Novak at Pulse Cardiology in Victoria is excellent. He tells it like it is, including his own limitations and statistical success, and he did well by me the second time. I'm almost ten months free of AF. The operation, if it can be accommodated, will be at the Cath Lab/Short Stay ward at Royal Jubilee.

A first consult will be about three to five months out, but he'll want several tests, including possibly an angiography first. Then, he'll see the person within about two weeks-ish, and he'll tell that person if it's a go, and then he'll let the person know when the event will happen, usually 4-5 months out again. More urgent cases are dealt with expeditiously, as one would hope, but that's just a possibility.

This is all based on my experience starting with my referral in November of 2021.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login