Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Betablockers and indigestion?

Posted by WhyMe 
Betablockers and indigestion?
September 24, 2023 05:18PM
Am I the only one that has digestive/swallowing issues whenever on betablockers like Metoprolol? Kinda feels like a lump in the back of my throat when swallowing, but Drs said I have nothing.

From what I read, the mechanism is as follows: betablockers are meant to "relax" HR and BP, and while they try to be precise in targeting certain organs (eg heart), in some ppl they also start affecting the digestive track by slowing it down, and allowing acid to go back in the esophagus due to sphincter relaxing too much and not shutting down properly.

I had a few instances where I had to stop Metoprolol, and magically went back to normal, just to start Metoprolol again and feeling the issue coming back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 05:18PM by WhyMe.
Re: Betablockers and indigestion?
September 25, 2023 01:58PM
On Metoprolol succinate for years... and have had digestive issues as well. My best fix to date has been taking a Prilosec course off and on...takes 2-3 days to start having impact than really puts the esophageal reflux to rest. I also have EOE (EOSINOPHILIC ESOPHAGITIS)...this is a culprit not often diagnosed that has the very same sypmtoms...
Re: Betablockers and indigestion?
September 25, 2023 02:34PM
I had really bad indigestion and bloating stomach when I was taking Metoprolol Succinate, Flecainide and Eliquis before and after ablation. I am fully recovered after stopping these meds. Not sure which one was the culprit though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2023 02:36PM by Yuxi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login