Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium intake according to a pharmacist

Posted by gloaming 
Magnesium intake according to a pharmacist
August 20, 2023 05:18PM
[www.youtube.com]

Some surprises here, personal experience notwithstanding.
Re: Magnesium intake according to a pharmacist
August 21, 2023 07:25AM
Interesting !
August 21, 2023 11:45AM
I have been taking Pure Encapsulations Magnesium glycinate 120 mg for five years. Now I'm wondering what I have been really taking; not USP or NSF certified. If I knew, I would probably stop...
August 21, 2023 11:48AM
Shucks! But, the good news is that widely available citrate is No. 1 for ease of intake. Also, we should only take the organic salts, and not the inorganic/mineralized versions.
August 21, 2023 12:09PM
I couldn’t get pass the poop commercial to see what you had linked.
August 21, 2023 12:11PM
thanks gloaming, I find this video informative. I have been using several different forms of Mag, one of them is Calm Citrate from Costco. I examined the label after watched the video, for some reason on the front it says Magnesium Citrate but on the back the fact label indicates as Magnesium Carbonate? I am a little confused and annoyed that I have been using the inorganic form.

[www.costco.com]
August 21, 2023 12:54PM
On gloaming's linked videos, a couple of comments. I've always avoided taking mag supplements around food as they all have a very basic pH when dissolved & I assume that increasing stomach acid pH does not help digestion. I generally use powders and a gram or milligram scale to dose as powders don't tend to have additives. I have run some of my supplements through a mass spectrometer by a chemical analysis lab. Years ago, I reported my results on magnesium chloride that I use (I purchase it in 20 kg bags). Doing what he suggests, using a organic forms (which the mag chloride is not) and looking for the lab test on the label is a safe way to go. In 2006, I did find a report of a person who repleted there mag level as indicated on the intracellular ExaTest with a topical mag chloride solution. Some people (likely including me) urinate out a lot of the mag they consume and may need to take more than what he indicates because of that. Other people may have a bowel tolerance lower than what he suggests. It is very individual. The bicarbonate form which you must make yourself from the recipe and the acetate form, that you also need to make yourself have good bioavailability. Both are made by reacting a magnesium hydroxide solution (milk of magnesia) with chilled carbonated water (for magnesium bicarb) or with vinegar (for magnesium acetate). The recipes for both are in this link.

The pharmacist creator of gloming's posted video has quite a few afib videos. Here is a search of his YouTube page on that topic.

He has a book he wrote and course on afib website.

A video on potassium & afib.

A video reviewing a paper on reducing ectopics with magnesium.
Using a Polar beat to beat recording device, looking at ectopic counts was one of the metrics I used back in 2004 & 2005 to create an afib remission plan for myself and titrate doses of electrolyte and taurine supplements. A local friend recently upped his taurine intake to 1000 mg twice a day and reduced his PVC counts.

In this video, he reviews these two papers (Prashanthan Sanders MBBS, PhD is the PI on both studies) on lifestyle changes & afib (the video author says that from the studies, losing at least 10% of your body weight is useful for those that are overweight and is his goal):

Pathak RK, Middeldorp ME, Meredith M, et al. Long-Term Effect of Goal-Directed Weight Management in an Atrial Fibrillation Cohort: A Long-Term Follow-Up Study (LEGACY). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(20):2159-2169. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2015.03.002

Aggressive risk factor reduction study for atrial fibrillation and implications for the outcome of ablation: the ARREST-AF cohort study. [doi.org]
August 21, 2023 09:23PM
One of the USP certified brands he recommended was Nature Made Magnesium Citrate. I checked around and found it Walgreens.

The bottle contains 120 softgels and a daily "serving" is 2 softgels, so a bottle lasts 60 days. Cost was high at $30 but until 8/26/23 you can purchase 2 bottles for the price of one ($30). You also get a $3 off with a coupon - net price for 2 bottles: $27.

I bought 2 bottles to try out. Softgels are large. Even though the attached picture does not show the UPS label, my 2 bottles have them.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 00-45-16 Nature Made Magnesium Citrate 250 mg - 120 Softgels Walgreens.png (76.2 KB)
August 21, 2023 10:15PM
I take glycerinate, oxide and L-threonate. Not all in one. I just glanced at the video. I order my L-threonate thru Emerson ecologics thru my functional med doc. One thing we have fooled around with is transdermal. I have purchased sprays in the past for myself and also a special needs member of the family. Also- Epsom salt baths. I'm too tired to watch the video tonight so maybe that is mentioned in there. After an epsom salt bath I can be so loopy and tired- so it must be doing something!
August 22, 2023 05:30AM
GeorgeN
On gloaming's linked videos, a couple of comments. I've always avoided taking mag supplements around food as they all have a very basic pH when dissolved & I assume that increasing stomach acid pH does not help digestion. I generally use powders and a gram or milligram scale to dose as powders don't tend to have additives. I have run some of my supplements through a mass spectrometer by a chemical analysis lab. Years ago, I reported my results on magnesium chloride that I use (I purchase it in 20 kg bags). Doing what he suggests, using a organic forms (which the mag chloride is not) and looking for the lab test on the label is a safe way to go. In 2006, I did find a report of a person who repleted there mag level as indicated on the intracellular ExaTest with a topical mag chloride solution. Some people (likely including me) urinate out a lot of the mag they consume and may need to take more than what he indicates because of that. Other people may have a bowel tolerance lower than what he suggests. It is very individual. The bicarbonate form which you must make yourself from the recipe and the acetate form, that you also need to make yourself have good bioavailability. Both are made by reacting a magnesium hydroxide solution (milk of magnesia) with chilled carbonated water (for magnesium bicarb) or with vinegar (for magnesium acetate). The recipes for both are in this link.

The pharmacist creator of gloming's posted video has quite a few afib videos. Here is a search of his YouTube page on that topic.

He has a book he wrote and course on afib website.

A video on potassium & afib.

A video reviewing a paper on reducing ectopics with magnesium.
Using a Polar beat to beat recording device, looking at ectopic counts was one of the metrics I used back in 2004 & 2005 to create an afib remission plan for myself and titrate doses of electrolyte and taurine supplements. A local friend recently upped his taurine intake to 1000 mg twice a day and reduced his PVC counts.

In this video, he reviews these two papers (Prashanthan Sanders MBBS, PhD is the PI on both studies) on lifestyle changes & afib (the video author says that from the studies, losing at least 10% of your body weight is useful for those that are overweight and is his goal):

Pathak RK, Middeldorp ME, Meredith M, et al. Long-Term Effect of Goal-Directed Weight Management in an Atrial Fibrillation Cohort: A Long-Term Follow-Up Study (LEGACY). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(20):2159-2169. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2015.03.002

Aggressive risk factor reduction study for atrial fibrillation and implications for the outcome of ablation: the ARREST-AF cohort study. [doi.org]

George, I'm always amazed by your experimentations and your documented posts ! Thanks for the links. A lot to discover, once more !
August 22, 2023 08:11AM
I use the NOW Magnesium Bisglycinate (glycinate) Powder is GMP certified. Their powder is made by Albion, a reputable manufacturer and is Albion's TRAAC's brand [www.amazon.com]

I also use a di-magnesium malate product made by Albion. I get mine from an equine supplier. If you order from them, tell them you have a horse & order the powder NOT pellets. It is 20% elemental magnesium by weight. I weighed it on a milligram scale and figured out how much is in common measuring spoons.

NOW says their products meet GMP certification here. They also make a citrate powder.

Here is another list of products that are produced in certified facilities.
August 22, 2023 12:15PM
The Doctor's Best website says they are cGMP

"What is CGMP?
CGMP refers to the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations enforced by the FDA. CGMP provides for systems that assure proper design, monitoring, and control of manufacturing processes and facilities. Adherence to the CGMP regulations assures the identity, strength, quality, and purity of drug products by requiring that manufacturers of medications adequately control manufacturing operations. This includes establishing strong quality management systems, obtaining appropriate quality raw materials, establishing robust operating procedures, detecting and investigating product quality deviations, and maintaining reliable testing laboratories. This formal system of controls at a pharmaceutical company, if adequately put into practice, helps to prevent instances of contamination, mix-ups, deviations, failures, and errors. This assures that drug products meet their quality standards."

IMO, I don't think the author of the YouTube video in the OP was thorough in his investigation.
August 22, 2023 01:03PM
The YouTube pharmacist places quite a low cap on safe doses of magnesium. I have been using magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance which puts me at 900 - 1000 mgs. I need this much for motility. GeorgeN,I know you also take a high dose—what are your thoughts about the cap suggested in this video? I use a decent brand, NOW.
August 22, 2023 01:31PM
Daisy
The YouTube pharmacist places quite a low cap on safe doses of magnesium. I have been using magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance which puts me at 900 - 1000 mgs. I need this much for motility. GeorgeN,I know you also take a high dose—what are your thoughts about the cap suggested in this video? I use a decent brand, NOW.

I think near bowel tolerance is OK (always assuming you have good kidney function so any excess is excreted). When I was first playing with magnesium many years ago, I read the writings of a retired pediatrician (I could locate some old posts on him if anybody is interested) who was a T2 diabetic and used very high doses to ameliorate the neuropathy from his diabetes. He also did a lot of research on magnesium and was involved with groups that had issues where they urinated out much of their magnesium and had a hard time keeping enough in the body. Certainly not all are in this category, but some are. There are quite a few folks that I know in my personal life that take 1, 2 or more grams of elemental magnesium/day, and feel they need this intake to be optimal. My level is more like 3-4 grams/day.
August 23, 2023 11:25PM
GeorgeN
The Doctor's Best website says they are cGMP

"What is CGMP?
CGMP refers to the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations enforced by the FDA. CGMP provides for systems that assure proper design, monitoring, and control of manufacturing processes and facilities. Adherence to the CGMP regulations assures the identity, strength, quality, and purity of drug products by requiring that manufacturers of medications adequately control manufacturing operations. This includes establishing strong quality management systems, obtaining appropriate quality raw materials, establishing robust operating procedures, detecting and investigating product quality deviations, and maintaining reliable testing laboratories. This formal system of controls at a pharmaceutical company, if adequately put into practice, helps to prevent instances of contamination, mix-ups, deviations, failures, and errors. This assures that drug products meet their quality standards."

IMO, I don't think the author of the YouTube video in the OP was thorough in his investigation.

I was using the Dr Best Glycinate/Lysinate years ago, till I was told that they started to buy their raw material from China and I stopped. Do you know anything about this? Dr Best Glycinate in Powder form is also very price convenient

after that I started to use this product
[www.amazon.com]
August 24, 2023 07:06AM
Marco
I was using the Dr Best Glycinate/Lysinate years ago, till I was told that they started to buy their raw material from China and I stopped. Do you know anything about this?

I have no info one way or the other.
August 24, 2023 02:52PM
GeorgeN

I was using the Dr Best Glycinate/Lysinate years ago, till I was told that they started to buy their raw material from China and I stopped. Do you know anything about this?

I have no info one way or the other.

Apparently the story about Dr Best, is that it was bought by a Chinese company in the 2016.

[www.nutraingredients-usa.com]
August 24, 2023 05:56PM
GeorgeN
I use the NOW Magnesium Bisglycinate (glycinate) Powder is GMP certified. Their powder is made by Albion, a reputable manufacturer

I bought some of this. How much to take daily? Thanks
August 24, 2023 07:37PM
KingFizzy

I use the NOW Magnesium Bisglycinate (glycinate) Powder is GMP certified. Their powder is made by Albion, a reputable manufacturer

I bought some of this. How much to take daily? Thanks

The package says 1 tsp is 250 mg of magnesium. I'd start there and work up slowly. The pharmacist in the video says to max out at 350 mg, but a lot of folks here will go up to bowel tolerance and back off just a bit. This has worked well for me. I have a very high bowel tolerance and likely dump a lot of magnesium in my urine.

This is what the pharmacist was quoting:

RDA: The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for adults 19-51+ years is 400-420 mg daily for men and 310-320 mg for women. Pregnancy requires about 350-360 mg daily and lactation, 310-320 mg.

UL: The Tolerable Upper Intake Level is the maximum daily intake unlikely to cause harmful effects on health. The UL for magnesium is 350 milligrams from supplements only. High-dose supplements can lead to diarrhea, nausea, and cramping in some people. Extra magnesium from food is safe because the kidneys will eliminate excess amounts in urine. Source.

{Edit} any electrolyte supplementation assumes a person has good kidney function

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 08:56PM by GeorgeN.
August 25, 2023 10:15AM
Thank you.
August 25, 2023 03:49PM
I'm finishing to read Dr Dean Book on Magnesium, she recommends nearly for everyone 600/900mg of elemental magnesium to recover a deficiency or 6-10mg Kg body weight to bring Mg RBC at 6.0 to 6.5, , or for athletes or people who exercise regularly 10-15 mg kg. I believe more in line with what George has been doing to keep a good healthy level of Mg RBC.
September 14, 2023 11:58AM
I just wanted to thank you for this recommendation. I’m new to getting my magnesium level up and was able to pick up two bottles of this for $27 and used my insurance company’s debit card so it was no cost to me YAY!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login