Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

? Asthma Inhalers with A fib

Posted by Sunshine13 
? Asthma Inhalers with A fib
August 13, 2023 11:06AM
Hi everyone,
I have asthma and also have paroxysmal A Fib. For the longest I’ve been on a steroid inhaler Flovent HFA. Just recently my asthma has started to act up and my Dr. recommended Trelegy Ellipta. I looked up the drug interactions and I am a little hesitant to start this . This inhaler has 3 components , a steroid, a LABA medication and an Anticholinergic medication. I am scared that the LABA medication might trigger my A Fib. I realize that everybody responds to medication in a different manner but if you could share what Inhalers have worked for you . . It might just help me stear in the right direction. I’ve tried Spiriva Respimat with the Flovent which worked great but insurance will not cover it and it’s way to expensive especially since am on Medicare now. Thank you all. Have a great day today !
Re: ? Asthma Inhalers with A fib
August 13, 2023 08:43PM
The anti-cholinergic would, prima facie (and I hasten to add that I know next to nothing about the prescribed drug, and nor am I in the medical professions), or should, help to neutralize the LABA's potential to induce palpitations. Again, first glance (face value, or prima facie). But this is a question for a professional.
Re: ? Asthma Inhalers with A fib
August 13, 2023 09:15PM
There are associations with anticholinergic meds and dementia in older individuals. In this paper they cite the associations but none of the meds were for asthma. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

To gloaming's point, there was a fellow here, say 10 or more years ago, who was using an an anticholinergic (Propantheline Bromide) med off label to control his afib. The idea was based on a paper (that I've attached) from James Reiffel MD. I went as far as getting a cardio to write a script for the med and filling it. However I never took it as I have a genetically increased risk for dementia & when I looked into the association I decided it was not a path I wanted to go down. The guy's manners on the forum were poor, but I communicated privately with him for some time. He later told me he'd quit the med and gone to flec for his afib.

Here is a quote from the paper:
"In patients who appear to have a parasympathetic contribution to the development of AF (as with nocturnal, postprandial, or bending-associated onset), a regimen that possesses anticholinergic properties may be particularly useful (e.g., disopyramide), whereas vagomimetic drugs (e.g., digitalis) may be profibrillatory."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2023 09:39PM by GeorgeN.
Attachments:
open | download - Selecting-an-antiarrhythmic-agent-for-atrial-fibri.pdf (197.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login