Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I V bag size

Posted by LaniB 
I V bag size
August 12, 2023 06:26PM
Does anyone out there have experience administering IVs? I'm a certified magnesium waster. It just won't stay in my body, so I run dangerously low all the time no matter what I do. I keep an RX for a magnesium sulphate IV in my back pocket along with my "pill in a pocket" RX for Flecainide in case I run into an unexpected stressor which would cause an afib episode. It worked great when my dog died a year ago and threw me into Afib. My new doctor agreed to write an RX for me to keep for an emergency but she wrote it for 2 gm Mg Sulphate in a 50 ml bag. and spelled out fifty. I've only had 500 ml before. Would the 50 ml make the MgSO4 too concentrated for my 70 year old veins to handle? would it work even better than a 500 ml bag? The doc is being nice and stepping outside her box a bit, I think, to write this for me. Does anyone have input? Maybe it was a typo, but I wanted to check with you guys first, before I would ask for the 500 ml.
Re: I V bag size
August 12, 2023 06:47PM
Everyone is different but I like a slow drip for magnesium. Not saying there is anything wrong getting a fast drip..I just feel better with slower drip output.

The magnesium IV can be in a 50ml bag…just ask for it to be piggybacked with a separate bag of saline. That was the protocol for my iron infusions, Cardizem infusions etc. They automatically ordered from the pharmacy the 50ml and had it run concurrently with a big bag of saline.

Usually I was dehydrated if I wasn’t feeling well enough to need magnesium… so instead of a 500ml I asked for more. It was a great pick me up getting my hydration tweaked.

I was told last year they still had a saline shortage from the pandemic. I hope it’s readily available now.
August 12, 2023 11:02PM
The 50 ml bag is a standard IV dosage and should be fine. It's not too concentrated. If fluid replenishment isn't needed there's no reason to wait for a full 500 ml to be infused.
August 13, 2023 06:31AM
Dosage

[errxpodcast.com].
[www.pfizermedicalinformation.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2023 06:44AM by susan.d.
August 13, 2023 12:20PM
Wonderful! Thank you Thank you Thank you, Susan D and Carey! I did sign up for the ER RX newsletter, very interesting!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login