Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UTI after ablation

Posted by Yuxi 
UTI after ablation
July 18, 2023 12:58PM
I developed urinary retention after ablation last Monday under general anesthesia. I stayed in the hospital overnight because of the catheter, it was resolved next day and has been recovering well. Then today I feel constant urgency to pee, the urine is pink/yellow color and I can see tiny blood spots in it. I’m on Eliquis. Waiting for EP office to call back. In the meantime, want to know anyone had unfortunately experienced this and how was it resolved? Is the blood caused by the infection or Eliquis? thanks.
Re: UTI after ablation
July 18, 2023 02:19PM
Yuxi
I developed urinary retention after ablation last Monday under general anesthesia. I stayed in the hospital overnight because of the catheter, it was resolved next day and has been recovering well. Then today I feel constant urgency to pee, the urine is pink/yellow color and I can see tiny blood spots in it. I’m on Eliquis. Waiting for EP office to call back. In the meantime, want to know anyone had unfortunately experienced this and how was it resolved? Is the blood caused by the infection or Eliquis? thanks.

I had urinary retention after general anesthesia both for my index ablation and my touchup and Watchman procedure. They did multiple bladder ultrasound scans, gave me Flomax and later IV Lasix which resolved the problem without using a catheter. Had I not responded and the scans showed that the bladder was too full, they would have done an “in and out” catheter just to drain the bladder without leaving the catheter in. I hope your EP can resolve your situation quickly.
July 18, 2023 04:00PM
Thanks for your reply Daisy. After ablation the bladder scan showed I had more than 1L, hence the catheter for 5 hours. What I don't understand is I was getting better every day and almost completely recovered yesterday, then today suddenly the UTI sad smiley

EP office called back and prescribed Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin), I am afraid of taking any new med as I am already on Eliquis, Flecainide and Metoprolol. I am 8 day post ablation, fatigued and worried that anything can trigger Afib sad smiley
Ken
July 18, 2023 04:24PM
General anesthesia causes urinary retention. That's why they won't let you go until you go.
July 18, 2023 05:19PM
Yuxi
EP office called back and prescribed Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin), I am afraid of taking any new med as I am already on Eliquis, Flecainide and Metoprolol. I am 8 day post ablation, fatigued and worried that anything can trigger Afib sad smiley

Nitrofurantoin has no interactions with any of your drugs. None. Meanwhile, UTIs are nothing to mess with. A UTI can easily become sepsis and sepsis kills people (like my sister, and hers began with a UTI).

Learn to use the interactions checker on drugs.com and you won't just have to sit and worry these things.
July 18, 2023 07:27PM
Carey, very sorry for what happened to your sister.

I did confirm with pharmacist there are no interactions between these meds. I guess I’m worried about taking it because a lot of things trigger my afib to my surprise, especially now my heart is more vulnerable, as it has just been ablated.
July 27, 2023 04:09PM
UTI's are very common after being cathed in a hospital. You need a culture and the right antibiotic. Often the antibiotics are started even before the C&S (culture and sensitivity) is completed. A GP should be able to handle this, but if you have a urologist, this is their business.
July 27, 2023 06:07PM
mjamesone
You need a culture and the right antibiotic. Often the antibiotics are started even before the C&S (culture and sensitivity) is completed.

Exactly, I started a 5-day course of Macrobid the same day I went for Urinalysis, the test result came out 4 days later showing positive. Fortunately Macrobid worked well for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login