Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

They didn't look at the girls in this forum

Posted by PavanPharter 
They didn't look at the girls in this forum
July 06, 2023 01:04AM
Jackie, Susan, et al - are wicked smart. smiling smiley

"Compared to men with AFib and women without the condition, women who had AFib were more likely to have cognitive impairment or dementia. Their condition also appeared to progress more quickly. "

[www.health.com]
Re: They didn't look at the girls in this forum
July 06, 2023 01:40AM
Daisy as well. They sound like EPs. Definitely tons of intelligence and knowledge on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2024 01:44AM by cornerbax.
Re: They didn't look at the girls in this forum
July 06, 2023 07:44AM
The actual paper is behind a paywall, here is the abstract. The odds ratios comparing women to men are very material. 3.00 for dementia and 3.43 for mild cognitive impairment. There is a thought that women may not get as good of treatment in men. The people who end up at our site are usually very proactive about their care.

This is one of the studies relating an increased risk for those with afib with cognition issues (male and female).

In this table from the paper, it shows that 48.3% of the sample with CHA2DS2-VASc >5 had delays in Initiation of antithrombotic therapies (in patients with newly diagnosed AF) > 3 years, which may contribute to this.

I have a genetic risk for dementia, having a single copy of the risk allele and my wife has two copies. From the data, women with the risk allele(s) have a materially higher risk for dementia than men with the same number of risk alleles. I am not aware of the reason for the women's increased risk. It may be partially due to estrogen withdrawal at menopause. In some women, when this estrogen withdrawal happens, their brains have a more difficult time metabolizing glucose. Hence it could be an energy deprivation issue. I have a friend with two copies of the risk allele who had this issue in her late 40's. She was able to turn it around, partially by becoming insulin sensitive by changing her diet and lifestyle. Now at age 60, she is very bright, consulting for a group that trains practitioners to help patients prevent or reverse dementia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login