Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is "prescription for LAF" still valid/up to date?

Posted by Marco 
is "prescription for LAF" still valid/up to date?
June 29, 2023 06:29PM
Lasy year, when I was searching on the forum, I found this file that is called "prescription for LAF". I have tried to search for it on the forum but I cannot find it anymore. I'm wondering if it was taken down due to old info. are all the recommendations in the file still ok to follow?
Attachments:
open | download - prescription for Aifib.pdf (184.5 KB)
Re: is "prescription for LAF" still valid/up to date?
June 29, 2023 08:04PM
Marco
Lasy year, when I was searching on the forum, I found this file that is called "prescription for LAF". I have tried to search for it on the forum but I cannot find it anymore. I'm wondering if it was taken down due to old info. are all the recommendations in the file still ok to follow?

The idea of Lone Afib hasn’t stood up to research as it has become clear that Afib occurs as a manifestation of changes in cardiac tissue—so it is not understood to be “lone” these days.
June 29, 2023 08:38PM
That PDF you attached is an AFib Report written by Hans, and since you have it I'm not sure what it is you're trying to find. A post talking about? If so, notice that the search feature only searches back the last 30 days by default. You have to use Advanced search and choose "all dates" if you want to search further back, which obviously you do.
June 30, 2023 03:58PM
Carey
That PDF you attached is an AFib Report written by Hans, and since you have it I'm not sure what it is you're trying to find. A post talking about? If so, notice that the search feature only searches back the last 30 days by default. You have to use Advanced search and choose "all dates" if you want to search further back, which obviously you do.

I just remember reading last year something with the name "prescription for LAF" and started to search the forum for it. After a couple of days I thought I may have saved on my computer.
June 30, 2023 04:05PM
Daisy

The idea of Lone Afib hasn’t stood up to research as it has become clear that Afib occurs as a manifestation of changes in cardiac tissue—so it is not understood to be “lone” these days.

I understand, so as today this is the current thought that applies to all Afibbers. Regardless of what type of Afib someone has, there is always some changes in cardiac tissues causing it, correct?
June 30, 2023 04:49PM
Marco
I understand, so as today this is the current thought that applies to all Afibbers. Regardless of what type of Afib someone has, there is always some changes in cardiac tissues causing it, correct?

Yep, that's pretty much it. The technical term being used is atrial myopathy.

Worth noting that we took the word "lone" out of this forum's title at least two years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 07:17PM by Carey.
June 30, 2023 05:40PM
Carey

Yep, that's pretty much it. The technical term being used is atrial myopathy.

Worth noting the we took the word "lone" out of this forum's title at least two years ago.

ok I will forget about the term "lone". Have people done new research for the past two years on the possible causes of it, or how to reverse it? is there anything new in the forum about it I should read?

thank you C, I think I will focus on the Atrial Myopathy now. Can this picked up with an echo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 05:49PM by Marco.
June 30, 2023 06:30PM
Marco
I think I will focus on the Atrial Myopathy now. Can this picked up with an echo?

Nope, only a specializes type of MRI that is expensive and rarely done as it is not widely available.
June 30, 2023 07:27PM
Daisy
Nope, only a specializes type of MRI that is expensive and rarely done as it is not widely available.

Delayed enhancement MRI. I actually had one done at Yale in 2014. Basically, it's able to identify fibrosis in the atria, which is a hallmark of atrial myopathy/afib.

Here's a study that explains it more thoroughly.
June 30, 2023 09:17PM
Carey
Delayed enhancement MRI. I actually had one done at Yale in 2014. Basically, it's able to identify fibrosis in the atria, which is a hallmark of atrial myopathy/afib.

Curious what yours showed, since the purpose of the study was to show the association with more fibrosis and afib recurrence (and you are doing well)?
June 30, 2023 11:09PM
It showed moderate fibrosis in the left atrium, which is probably better than expected considering I'd been experiencing afib since 2002. Yes, I'm doing well now and have been since 2017, but I sure wasn't in 2014.

Honestly, I'm not sure what value that MRI actually had. It didn't alter treatment, change the diagnosis, or even confirm the diagnosis since that was already beyond question.
July 01, 2023 09:33AM
Carey
It showed moderate fibrosis in the left atrium, which is probably better than expected considering I'd been experiencing afib since 2002. Yes, I'm doing well now and have been since 2017, but I sure wasn't in 2014.

Honestly, I'm not sure what value that MRI actually had. It didn't alter treatment, change the diagnosis, or even confirm the diagnosis since that was already beyond question.

I thought this excerpt from the study was interesting:

"It was recently demonstrated that AF clinical phenotype and AF-related fibrotic changes or atrial disease progression are not interchangeable or equivalent. For example, patients with a short known history of paroxysmal AF could have extensive atrial fibrosis and conversely patients diagnosed with persistent AF for many years could have a minimal amount of fibrosis."

Also evident in your case, having the right EP perform the right procedure can immensely impact a person's quality of life, even with higher fibrosis levels.
July 01, 2023 05:29PM
Daisy

I think I will focus on the Atrial Myopathy now. Can this picked up with an echo?

I understand. That's why not one ever picked up anything throughout out the years then
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login