Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What determines the duration of Flecainade post ablation

Posted by Aoife5 
What determines the duration of Flecainade post ablation
June 12, 2023 11:41PM
I am post ablation, I have read many posts that some patients did not take Flecainade post ablation, some took it for a short while and others are still taking it. What are the parameters that determine the duration and dosage of Flecainade.
I only started taking this medication recently, I had an episodes of Afib post ablation, and initially prescribed Metoprol once a day, after the episodes of Afib this has been increased to twice daily with 200mg of Flecaimade. But this combination really knocks me out.
Re: What determines the duration of Flecainade post ablation
June 13, 2023 10:11AM
There's no standard on this. It's a judgement call on your EP's part, taking into account your symptoms, how well you tolerate the flecainide, and how well it works for you. And keep in mind there are several choices of drugs. Flecainide isn't the only antiarrhythmic and many people never take it at all. So there are other options available.

I'm surprised by the dosage you're taking. 400 mg per day is the maximum dosage for an adult weighing 154 lbs/70 kg or more. But how much metoprolol are you taking? That's the drug that usually knocks people out. It sure does with me.

Talk to your doc and ask about alternative drugs and perhaps adjusting the dosage.
June 13, 2023 12:54PM
I'm taking 50mg of metoprolol, and 200mg of Flecainide, prior to the ablation I was taking metoprolol and Eliquis, no issue with either of these, but the Flecainide is posing a problem, over the last four days, I have developed a really bad ticklish cough, which comes on 20 mins after the medication, its very problematic, I struggle to catch my breath, research into the wee hours on Pub Med does correlate Flecainide and dry cough. My Mum died from IPF I have a call into my EP.
I had to go back to the hospital after my ablation and after a few attempts they decided to keep me on 200mg Flecainide, 50mg Metoprolol and Eliquis. I'm hoping he will change the medication, it also makes me so tired with zero energy.
I miss my dance class,
June 13, 2023 01:04PM
There are other antiarrhythmic drug choices out there if Flecainide is not suitable for you. It took my body two weeks to adjust to it when I first started Flecainide. The worst side effect for me was insomnia.
June 13, 2023 01:42PM
Yuxi
There are other antiarrhythmic drug choices out there if Flecainide is not suitable for you. It took my body two weeks to adjust to it when I first started Flecainide. The worst side effect for me was insomnia.

I and quite a few others were given Multaq for a couple of months after our ablations. Before my ablation I had really bad side effects from flecainide.
June 13, 2023 02:16PM
Call your EP's office and tell them about the side effects. That's a really hefty dose you're taking and could probably be cut in half. And if that doesn't solve the problem, it can be changed to any of several other drugs.

PS- This isn't advice, but if I were in your shoes I would cut the dose in half on my own if they didn't get back to me promptly. There's nothing dangerous about doing that. The worst that can happen is you go into afib, and that's pretty unlikely if you're still taking 100 mg bid.
June 13, 2023 05:27PM
Aoife5
I'm taking 50mg of metoprolol, and 200mg of Flecainide, prior to the ablation I was taking metoprolol and Eliquis, no issue with either of these, but the Flecainide is posing a problem, over the last four days, I have developed a really bad ticklish cough, which comes on 20 mins after the medication, its very problematic, I struggle to catch my breath, research into the wee hours on Pub Med does correlate Flecainide and dry cough. ]

Just to clarify, are you taking 50mg of metoprolol, and 200mg of Flecainide twice a day or 25mg of metoprolol, and 100mg of Flecainide twice a day for a total of 50mg of metoprolol, and 200mg of Flecainide per day?
June 21, 2023 06:11PM
Sorry about delay in response

Flecainide 100mg x 2 daily
Metopropol 25mg x 2 daily
Eliquis 5mg x 2 daily
June 21, 2023 06:12PM
Thank you for the advise, I had a dizzy spell earlier,
June 21, 2023 09:17PM
Aoife5
Sorry about delay in response

Flecainide 100mg x 2 daily
Metopropol 25mg x 2 daily
Eliquis 5mg x 2 daily

Thank goodness. I thought you were taking 200 mg twice daily.

Nevertheless, if it's making you dizzy, it's a problem. You're either taking too much of the flecainide or the metoprolol, and my bet is heavily on the metoprolol. It comes with all the side effects you complain of. Flecainide, not so much.
June 22, 2023 03:15PM
I agree with Carey, and found that even though I had AF, and was between ablations, my heart wanted to rest near 50 BPM. However, doses of metoprolol higher than 12.5 mg BID often had my heart plodding along at 40 and fewer beats. It made me feel so awful that I had to go to the ER once only to learn that my heart rate was running at 30 BPM, barely enough to keep me alive. I was told to discontinue metoprolol immediately, but to begin taking another ultra-strong anti-arrhythmic drug called Amiodarone. I felt greatly improved as soon as my AF got under control, but my heart rate never went below about 38 after that, and only when I was in deep sleep.

I don't think your Flecainide was the problem. If you heart is largely free of AF at this point and behaving, it might be suppressed too much by even the relatively modest dose of metoprolol you have been taking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login