Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cough after Ablation

Posted by Aoife5 
Cough after Ablation
June 10, 2023 06:58PM
Hello there,

I had my first ablation last week, after 9 episodes of Afib in April I decided it had to be done. I had a cryo went well, but I did go into Afib again the next day, and the day after ,went into sinus during the night and now I am on 200mg Flecainide. I have a very dry cough which only gets worse if I walk a little, The Flecainide makes me really tired and as I am back to work next Tuesday, I am trying to walk a little in preparation for next week, I know I had a tube down my throat for a while, so to be expected. Should I expect to be on the Flecaimide the duration of the blanking period? I guess I will wear a holter before I come off, Tea with honey is all I'm taking for the cough. Thank you
Re: Cough after Ablation
June 11, 2023 01:42AM
The Holter monitor should tell everyone what is going on, and that will come between 10 and 14 weeks...usually. Any medication that could mask the real 'you' is not a good idea, and it kinda obviates the Holter. So, in my experience, you might be encouraged to start to wean yourself off of any heart medications at about the four week mark and try to be free of all of them between Weeks 6 and 8. That gives you at least two weeks for any residual problems to manifest once again and to be duly recorded when you are issued your Holter.

This, again, is what I know. It's not necessarily what your EP would want for you, so contact her/his office and find out. Even so, you ought to have been issued an instruction sheet on what to take, when, and for how long during the blanking period. I was, twice.
June 12, 2023 11:24PM
I did not get any instruction sheet, except discharge papers with the meds. I am taking 200mg of Flecainide which makes me very tired. Its Day 12 now and I can't still climb stairs as I am so winded. I am scheduled to travel to Europe in August.
I hope I'm only on the Flecainade for a month. I also know I am very impatient.
On another note, one of my favourite bands is The Gloaming.
June 12, 2023 11:37PM
Aoife5
I am taking 200mg of Flecainide which makes me very tired.

Are you sure it's the flecainide? Are you taking a beta blocker along with it?
June 15, 2023 02:50PM
Follow up, I have been taking Beta Blocker and Eliquis since February, no issue there, but I had zero energy and cough with Flecainide, I'm off the Flecainide two days now, and I am in sinus but my cough is getting worse if I talk or walk any exertion at all,
I did find a case study on cough and PE, now I have no edema and my So2 96% but the cough was the trigger in this case which can be resolved with Diuretics or oral prednisone

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

If it could be solved I would be very happy, my Mum died from IPF so a dry cough is the worst thing for me, as it stresses me so much.
June 15, 2023 05:11PM
Cough is a rare side effect of flecainide, but beta blockers are known for causing a cough in some people, particularly those who have asthma.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login