Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

“latrogenic ASD with left to right shunt” and leak after Watchman

Posted by Mac 
Mac
“latrogenic ASD with left to right shunt” and leak after Watchman
May 27, 2023 06:38PM
Hello all,

I had a Watchman installed by Dr. Natale 15 months ago.

I had TEEs at 6 weeks, 6 months and and 14 months.

They all said the same thing, never changed. My last one from a few weeks ago said:

Interpretation Summary
1. Watchman left atrial appendage occluder device well-seated.
2. Trace leak is redemonstrated similar to previous (< 3mm).
3. Iatrogenic ASD is seen with left to right shunt.”

I’m concerned about the ASD (and the leak too). After 14 months, I had hoped that the ASD would have closed, but it hasn’t.

What’s the prognosis for this? Anyone had one treated? Apparently it can be closed?
Re: “latrogenic ASD with left to right shunt” and leak after Watchman
May 27, 2023 11:20PM
What you have is a common occurrence with procedures that require septal punctures, especially with large catheters, which the Watchman requires. They're usually harmless and will usually close on their own eventually. I have one, but I haven't had a TEE since 2019 so I don't know if it finally closed. No one, including me, is concerned about it enough to do another TEE because, as I said, they're usually harmless. People who are born with them often live most of their lives not even knowing they have it and only find out when they undergo a TEE for some unrelated reason.

You can have it checked out further if it really worries you, and they can be repaired with a catheter procedure, but if it had been big enough to set off alarm bells, you would have known. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login