Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Lone Fibber

Posted by BJS 
BJS
Re: Lone Fibber
May 09, 2023 04:49PM
This is my first post. I had an AF episode March 4, 2023. Spent two days in the hospital which was out of state. I had numerous blood tests, ekg, CTA, a stress test, etc. All my tests came back negative. They have no idea what set it off. I am a 67 yo female, healthy weight and active. I will admit that my blood pressure in the past has always been normal but sometimes on the high end of normal. I was diagnosed as LAF (not sure why this is an obsolete term.) I was subscribed Eliquis and Diltiazem for 30 days. I bought an Apple Watch and check my BPM and run the ECG daily. I also bought a BP machine and keep a daily diary. The results have been well within normal range. After follow-ups with out of state cardiologist and my primary care (both saying I am doing great) they want me to stay on the medication indefinately. I was starting to get side effects from the medication (feet were tingling at night, I could feel my heart beat more than usual and was a little light headed) I am a skier and hiker and did not want to be on blood thinners in case I fall or slip. After some research, I added to my supplement regimen (magnesium, etc) I also checked out what foods were good for potassium and which naturally thin your blood. Most things I already ate but did add a few more things to my diet. Was never big on salt but cutting down on sodium even more - staying away from canned soup and reading all lables. My blood pressure has never been better. After weighing the side effects, I went off both medications on May 1 and am feeling better. Today (5/9/2023) primary care said fine to get off Dilitiazem but to stay on blood thinners - scaring the bejezus out of me regarding blood clots. She wants me to stay on them at least until I am set up with a new cardiologist in my state. (that's another story) The doctors don't like when you look for alternatives to medications but I feel I must be in charge of my decisions. Not once did they ask what I ate or sodium intake. Are there anymore Lone Fibbers out there? Would love to hear from you. Thank you for listening and thank you for this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login