Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chad score

Posted by Sunshine13 
Chad score
April 25, 2023 05:54PM
Hi Everyone,
How do you figure out your chad score ? Dr. Recommended Eliquis and I am somewhat reserved to take it. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Chad score
April 25, 2023 06:36PM
Just google CHADS-Vasc. Then input your true values. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're at least a 1.5, and probably higher if your cardiologist wants you to take apixaban. Literally 20 million people across N. American are on Eliquis. It reduces their risk of stroke markedly. If you have a heart arrhythmia, you really want to be on apixaban. It's tried, safe, and helps a lot of people stay on this side of the roots.
April 25, 2023 07:35PM
April 26, 2023 07:55PM
Gloaming , Thank you for the info. Do you know if the point for female is still counted ?
April 26, 2023 08:00PM
Sunshine13
Do you know if the point for female is still counted ?

Carey says no in this post: [www.afibbers.org]
"When you do the score, check the box for being male, not female. Do that to remove the point for being female that is no longer counted in the score per the most recent guidelines."
April 26, 2023 08:16PM
I still stand by that answer George posted. I can find the guidelines, which I believe were updated in 2019, if anyone wishes.
April 27, 2023 01:22AM
I just googled it myself, me being a person who feels ethically compelled to swallow my own medicine ( grinning smiley ), and I came away with a solid 1.

If that doesn't seem right to you, ditto for me. I got as a first hit the site that gives credit to the founder. and the site is MDCalc or whatever it was...didn't linger or copy it to paste here. I didn't give myself a 1 for a history of hypertension even though when I first met with my cardiologist to get my arrhythmia figured out he said he wasn't happy with my borderline BP and wanted me on metoprolol just for that. Mmmm........okkaaaay... Of course, it would also slow my arrhythmic impulse and keep AF at a low point. But now, with no meds except statin and apixaban, my waking BP is 122/74. Not too shabby for a 28 BMI 70 year-old male.

I looked to give myself .....WAIT! There is no obvious place to assign me a detriment if I have a history of AF or other arrhythmia! Wouldn't you think that has a place? There's are detriments for hypertension and for atherosclerosis, and I have neither. My angiogram and Doppler carotid both say I should live to 150 if my heart keeps going. Or my wife don't kill me. drinking smiley

Seriously, and I haven't gone to look for a different calculator, but I think the one I found is flawed. It should very clearly include a score to demarcate a low limit above which hypertension is assigned a value of '1', and it should state that if one has a history of arrhythmia, even if controlled or if remediated via mechanical interventions, the score must have a value of '1' added.
April 27, 2023 03:02AM
I went there and got a 3 point score (included female 1 point) while my watchman report (for Medicare) stated a 6. I must had taken the survey/test wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2023 03:03AM by susan.d.
April 27, 2023 10:04AM
gloaming
I looked to give myself .....WAIT! There is no obvious place to assign me a detriment if I have a history of AF or other arrhythmia! Wouldn't you think that has a place?

That's because the CHADS-Vasc score was originally intended only for patient with AF so it assumes you already have it.
April 27, 2023 05:55PM
I must have misunderstood. I thought the score was a global assessment of one's risk for stroke. It doesn't assume that one already has hypertension or ASC. I don't see why there's an implicit assumption that one has AF from the get-go.
April 27, 2023 07:53PM
gloaming
I don't see why there's an implicit assumption that one has AF from the get-go.

Because that's the patient population it was originally designed for. Although I suppose it might be used more generally in some cases, I've never seen it referenced in any context other than afib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login