Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Procedures Available to Isolate LAA other than Watchman?

Posted by Nancy M 
What Procedures Available to Isolate LAA other than Watchman?
April 13, 2023 06:31PM
Are there other procedures to isolate the LAA other than the Watchman that don't involve devices that contain metal? Is the procedure still done that isolates the LAA by just sewing it shut? I really don't want to put anything metal in my body as I have multiple chemical sensitivities already and don't need even more problems in that area.
Re: What Procedures Available to Isolate LAA other than Watchman?
April 13, 2023 07:12PM
April 13, 2023 09:20PM
Suturing the LAA closed means open heart surgery. That's a very big deal and personally I would never expose myself to that kind of risk and lengthy recovery just for an LAA closure.

The two minimally invasive devices are the LARIAT and Atriclip. The LARIAT is Teflon coated, but I can't seem to find its actual materials. I'm pretty sure the Atriclip contains metal but haven't had time to check.

I watched a video on youtube a year or so ago of an Atriclip being implanted, but it seems to be gone now. Basically, they make three holes in your chest wall, tie some structures out of the way temporarily, cut open the pericardial sac surrounding your heart, and then put the Atriclip on your LAA. All the work is done with endoscopes and tools through those 3 holes. It's a lot smaller than open heart surgery but it's still big surgery.

The LARIAT is a bit different because it uses a lariat sort of thing just like the name implies. I think it only requires two holes in your chest, but it's pretty comparable to an Atriclip in that you're going to have holes opened in your chest and the risk and recovery time will go up accordingly.

Personally, I'd spend a lot of money finding out if I actually have allergies to any of the components of a Watchman before I would undergo chest surgery. I'm very skeptical that you have to be shipping blood samples to Europe to answer that question.
April 14, 2023 02:40AM
“ Personally, I'd spend a lot of money finding out if I actually have allergies to any of the components of a Watchman before I would undergo chest surgery. I'm very skeptical that you have to be shipping blood samples to Europe to answer that question.”

Unfortunately there is no usa labs that tests for metal allergies. There are labs that test your levels of mercury if you ate too much fish or other metals such as aluminum (used and absorbed in deodorant) or labs that test for levels of inhaled metals. There are no skin tests available for metal allergies. The lab in Germany is the only lab testing metal allergens. I really did my google homework and in addition called up A-Z labs asking if they test for metal allergies and if not who does. It took a lot of time in research but I did it.

I even had usa labs testing the silicone used in the screw cap of pacemakers —my PM surgeon just didn’t cap it with silicone. I contacted the company who makes the watchman and asked for the CA spec list of every alloy and every material component used and had the components tested in the usa.

Melisa Labs have their niche in metal allergies testing.

My research was extensively done. Dr Natale even had his NP tape a watchman to my thigh for 8 hours. It cut me up because of the sharp edges and did leave a dark skin discoloration like my white gold leaving a black skin mark but it wasn’t inflamed which I was concerned about.
April 15, 2023 01:50PM
Susan,

Did you contact the Orthopedic Analysis Lab in Chicago, [www.orthopedicanalysis.com], to find out what they have to offer in a metal allergen test for the Watchman? If so, what were your concerns about their testing?

Thanks!
April 15, 2023 05:26PM
Nancy M
Susan,

Did you contact the Orthopedic Analysis Lab in Chicago, [www.orthopedicanalysis.com], to find out what they have to offer in a metal allergen test for the Watchman? If so, what were your concerns about their testing?

Thanks!

I’m not in the states at the moment. Maybe during my split year in the states I’ll get it done..but maybe not because what’s the use now? I need my pacemaker and I enjoy the benefits of the watchman where I can skip a dose of Eliquis if I like.

When I was investigating labs, I wasn’t told of the OA lab. I would had used them if I knew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login