Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New NJM report about small study - Coffee consumption

Posted by gloaming 
New NJM report about small study - Coffee consumption
April 10, 2023 11:12AM
Snippets from a news article. Small study, but it bears some watching for further developments:

"A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine has shown that drinking coffee can have both advantages and disadvantages on health. Cardiologist Gregory Marcus, lead author of the study, says that the overall picture is not simple and that most research on the subject has been observational and therefore limited. The randomised interventional study was conducted on 100 healthy adults in the San Francisco area. Participants used Fitbit devices to track steps and sleep, monitor blood glucose, and electrocardiograms to monitor heart rhythms.

The participants were instructed to drink as much coffee as they wanted for two days and then to abstain for two days, repeating this cycle over a period of two weeks. The result? On the days they drank coffee, the participants averaged 1058 more steps than on the abstention days. However, they also slept 36 minutes less than on the days without coffee. Moreover, coffee also seemed to affect the heart, as coffee consumption was associated with a 50 per cent increase in premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). These beats can cause heart palpitations and can lead to a weakened heart or heart failure.

Although no significant relationship has been found between coffee consumption and premature atrial contractions, which are common early heartbeats, they could be a risk signal for developing a clinically significant heart rhythm disorder called atrial fibrillation. Therefore, coffee consumption could be problematic for those who suffer from annoying PVC-related palpitations or who are at risk of heart failure, for example, due to a family history.

Peter Kistler, head of electrophysiology at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, called the study 'strong', but stressed that it was a short-term study on healthy volunteers. Consuming moderate amounts of coffee does not provide information on the long-term effects of coffee or the impact in people with other health conditions.

Overall, the study shows that coffee consumption may be associated with increased physical activity but also with reduced sleep and an increased risk of premature ventricular contractions. Therefore, people should carefully consider the potential risks and benefits of coffee consumption and talk to a physician before making significant changes to their diet. In any case, "individuals can be reassured that there are certainly no imminent dangerous effects of coffee drinking," said Marcus..."

Not really earth-shaking. In fact, it's more of the same 'maybe, could, might...' speculation that is reported about most any subject dealing with diet the past six decades.

I'm an n of only one, and my recent history with AF hasn't been particularly pleasant. However, I am seven weeks post ablation, off metoprolol nearly two weeks now, and back to experimenting with full-bore coffee and tea. So far, so good.
Re: New NJM report about small study - Coffee consumption
April 10, 2023 11:33AM
gloaming
Although no significant relationship has been found between coffee consumption and premature atrial contractions, which are common early heartbeats, they could be a risk signal for developing a clinically significant heart rhythm disorder called atrial fibrillation. Therefore, coffee consumption could be problematic for those who suffer from annoying PVC-related palpitations or who are at risk of heart failure, for example, due to a family history.

That's just about the most nonsensical thing I've ever heard a doctor say.

First statement: There's no connection between coffee consumption and PACs. He then goes on to imply that there is, or could be, or might be, or something. And then he starts talking about PVCs, which have nothing to do with afib and PACs. Finally, he amps up the fear factor by throwing in some blathering about heart failure.

I really hope that was the work of a reporter who had no idea what the doctor was talking about.
Re: New NJM report about small study - Coffee consumption
April 10, 2023 05:20PM
I thought that might get under your skin. Heh! grinning smiley

Yeah, it's just another reporter who read an article and decided to tell the public what it said. Except, he/she doesn't quite have it all right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login