Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

International Society of Atrial Appendage symposium

Posted by sldabrowski 
International Society of Atrial Appendage symposium
March 18, 2023 09:06AM
Taking place next week. It appears that there is no cost to tune in virtually. You can check out the various topics and times presented. Looks interesting. Folks who are interested in finding an EP expert may find one among the faculty presenting.

https//islaasymposium.com
Re: International Society of Atrial Appendage symposium
March 18, 2023 03:12PM
Thanks—this is very useful. I’ll link the agenda below but here is an agenda topic that may interest many of us: Half Dose NOAC’s After LAAO - The TCAI Approach – Dr. Andrea Natale

Agenda [islaasymposium.com]

The timing is good for me as conference is a few weeks before I will get a Watchman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2023 03:13PM by Daisy.
March 19, 2023 12:44PM
why not just do atriclip with dr wolf ...much better and no thinners
March 19, 2023 01:27PM
Dovewing
why not just do atriclip with dr wolf ...much better and no thinners

Yes, a great approach but more invasive and thus longer recovery. The Watchman is placed via the femoral vein and the whole procedure takes only 30 - 45 minutes.
March 19, 2023 01:43PM
hey Daisy...but its one and done and no thinners
March 19, 2023 04:57PM
It's incorrect that a Watchman requires lifelong anticoagulants. The FDA recommends lifelong aspirin, but many doctors disagree and don't prescribe it. I have a Watchman and I was given the choice of aspirin, 1/2 dose Eliquis, or nothing. I chose 1/2 dose Eliquis for reasons unrelated to the Watchman.

Above all, the Atriclip is heart surgery and therefore comes with much greater risks, a much longer recovery period, and much more pain and discomfort. It requires several holes in the chest wall, deflating the left lung, and cutting the pericardium open. It may be minimally invasive but that's a relative term. It is not minor surgery and the risks far outweigh the risks that anticoagulants present.

There used to be a better video that showed the entire procedure from beginning to end, but it seems to be gone now. This video shows the procedure from an endoscopic view after the access holes have been cut.

My Watchman procedure was 20 minutes long. I felt absolutely zero discomfort afterward and ever since. The only outward sign anything had been done was a single puncture wound in my left femoral vein.
April 02, 2023 03:06PM
Anyone attend any of the sessions on the conference?. You can access the content on line and see the presentations and various studies. Quite interesting. I particularly found the information on leak risks using the various closure devices or surgical closures. There is also opportunity to chat with other attendees.
April 02, 2023 04:04PM
Shannon and I attended in 2019 and had plans to attend in subsequent years, but COVID put a hold on those plans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login