Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I take Naproxen while in blanking period

Posted by colindo 
Can I take Naproxen while in blanking period
March 12, 2023 11:13AM
I have gout like symptoms but I don't think it is gout as there are no uric acid crystals and I think Naproxen will be prescribed, is it OK to take this while in blanking period.
I think i read somewhere that it's not a good idea as it can trigger afib.

Gout like symptoms and blood thinners.

I see Pradaxa is on a medicines monitoring (M² logo) scheme.

See [www.medsafe.govt.nz]
Re: Can I take Naproxen while in blanking period
March 12, 2023 12:28PM
Combining it with DOACs increases bleed risk. The general advice with NSAIDs for people on anticoagulants is you can use them but only short term (days, not more than a week). Never heard of it triggering afib and I'm very skeptical of that.
March 12, 2023 03:27PM
I would take it with an enteric cover AND with food. But I think sometimes it might be worth the risk if your liver is tired, say with long-term use of acetaminophen. As Carey says, this is a stop-gap and should not last more than a couple of days if possible.

People are convinced that something they used has caused them to break into AF. Sometimes, they are right. Often they are wrong. I mean to suggest that, if naproxen/Aleve/Advil/Motrin and any other concoction that has ibuprofen in it were potentially deleterious for people with heart rhythm problems, it would be included in pharmacy monographs. With a 40+ year history of widespread use of ibuprofen by now, I would think that its most common contraindications would be as widely known.

Here, they mention blood clotting enhancement and a potential rise in blood pressure (which they say can lead to AF). So, to me, it's remote unless one is currently being treated for borderline or higher hypertension:

[www.health.harvard.edu]-
March 12, 2023 07:51PM
Naproxen is in the same class of drugs as Ibuprofen, but it is not the same thing.

I have had experiences with AFIB being triggered coming off of Naproxen. And I have had taken the drug alot in the past, and kept detailed records of both starting and stopping Medications and any AFIB episodes.

There is some medical literature showing that Naproxen can alter the NA+/K+ balance in the Atria, both when you start and then stop the drug.
March 13, 2023 12:24PM
The following suggests that the risk is almost entirely not worth considering with respect to palpitations or other problems associated with AF, apart from what I posted earlier:

[www.drugs.com]
March 13, 2023 01:00PM
The Anti-Fib
I have had taken the drug alot in the past, and kept detailed records of both starting and stopping Medications and any AFIB episodes.

There is some medical literature showing that Naproxen can alter the NA+/K+ balance in the Atria, both when you start and then stop the drug.
Do you still take it? If not, then what do you take in its place? And are you on a blood thinner?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 01:02PM by colindo.
March 14, 2023 10:24PM
I am not taking blood thinners. I use Ibuprofen sparingly, I dont use Naproxen any longer. If I was on thinners and needed to take an anti-inflammatory, I would take low dose of a steriod like Prednisone or Hydrocortisone, with a long taper-down to minimize side effects coming off of it. I say this having 30 years of experience taking anti-inflammatories for chronic Lupus SLE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login