Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Latest Natale protocol on Watchman: how long before colonoscopy etc. is safe?

Posted by Daisy 
Latest Natale protocol on Watchman: how long before colonoscopy etc. is safe?
March 08, 2023 01:15PM
I have a Watchman scheduled for the end of April and need to schedule an overdue colonoscopy, which of course means stopping Eliquis for a few days. I hear that Dr. Natale is now offering immediate dose reduction of Eliquis to 2.5 mg after the procedure, but what wait period is now being recommended before procedures that require stopping for a few days? I have a colonoscopy scheduling appointment coming up in a week.
Re: Latest Natale protocol on Watchman: how long before colonoscopy etc. is safe?
March 08, 2023 07:50PM
I'm just guessing but my guess would be not until after your 6-week TEE. Prior to that they can't be sure you don't have a leak or a device related thrombus, so I would think it would be risky to stop the Eliquis. But you'll need to check with Natale's office to be sure.

As an example, I had my Watchman in August, my 6-week TEE in late September, and then in early November I had hernia repair surgery. I stopped Eliquis for 5 days with Natale's blessings.
Re: Latest Natale protocol on Watchman: how long before colonoscopy etc. is safe?
March 09, 2023 01:53AM
Maybe it’s based on each patient’s situation because I had big GI bleeding a week to a few days prior to my scheduled ablation. I told the office and the ablation was canceled but dr Natale left word that I could still get my watchman, stay on full dose Eliquis for 24 hours and then go half dose so I could immediately schedule a colonoscopy to see why I was bleeding.

He didn’t just say it was ok to reduce the dosage 24 hours post ablation, he did a very careful TEE to see if the watchman was sealed before he made the determination that it was safe.

I think the watchman and my AV ablation may be my best two procedure choices.

Everyone is different but I was allowed to remain off Eliquis for five days because colonoscopy biopsies were taken. I had the colonoscopy a week later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login