Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Primary care MD gave me 2 new meds to try. Should I?

Posted by PavanPharter 
Primary care MD gave me 2 new meds to try. Should I?
March 03, 2023 07:40PM
My A1c is up a little and I've had some nights where I am up for nature breaks 5, even 6 times.

He prescribed Farxiga and Tamsulosin.

I am most concerned with possible heart rhythm disturbances. Enjoying my NSR and don't want to muck it up.

Thanks
Re: Primary care MD gave me 2 new meds to try. Should I?
March 03, 2023 08:41PM
I have no idea whether the meds will impact your heart rhythm. My thought is that these meds may help with the symptoms of high serum glucose, but aren't a root cause solution, which is probably only available through lifestyle modification. Have you pursued this avenue?
March 04, 2023 08:52AM
I don't know about those meds and heart rhythm, either, but I do know that Tamsulosin, (Flomax), and Finisteride, (Proscar). both help with urinary issues; once to twice up during the night. I've been taking both for years after prostate cancer treatment, prescribed by my Urologist and with the full knowledge of my EP, Cardiologist and Primary Care MD. I have had two Natale ablations, the last one in 2021, NSR since.

No knowledge about Farxiga.
March 04, 2023 09:53AM
George - I have but have been careless lately and my MD took notice. He's like a hawk on my labs, which thankfully, I need criticism and correction on from time to time. Nose to the grindstone now as I don't like taking drugs.

GG - thanks. I'd like to sleep better so hopefully the Tam will help.
March 04, 2023 10:10AM
PavanPharter
My A1c is up a little and I've had some nights where I am up for nature breaks 5, even 6 times.

He prescribed Farxiga and Tamsulosin.

I am most concerned with possible heart rhythm disturbances. Enjoying my NSR and don't want to muck it up.

Thanks

Here is an anecdotal story about Flomax and heart rhythm. After my recent ablation, a post-anesthesia side-effect was not being able to pee. I told Dr. Natale when he came by in the evening and he prescribed Flomax (and I’m female)!
March 04, 2023 01:52PM
Thank you Daisy - that helps.
March 05, 2023 01:29PM
I took tamulosin briefly but stopped it as I couldn't tolerate the side effects which included brain fog. I did have some palpitations while on the medication but I was away from my kardia so I could not confirm it was AFib. I decided to stop the medication and just live with my nocturia. Some websites will list arrhythmia as a possible side effect although most do not. If I restrict fluids 3 hours before bedtime it helps a little.
March 09, 2023 09:21AM
I'm with George on finding a root cause. My doc is looking at Farxiga for me but I have had some heart surgeries (from congenital stuff) and it isn't just A1C related. There is so much you can do yourself to reduce inflammation. There is a time for medications of course. But if this is the first your blood test that shows that and isn't too high I would ask questions. Just me. I know there are those that prefer meds and that's fine too if that's how you roll. My functional cardiologist does a giant amount of blood tests that regular cardiologists don't do. Also not sure if you are a man or woman taking those many nature breaks, but if a man I assume you have had a prostate exam. Maybe I am mis-understanding

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2023 09:22AM by bettylou4488.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login