Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

News Not Good : Erythritol

Posted by Poppino 
News Not Good : Erythritol
March 01, 2023 06:41PM
Re: News Not Good : Erythritol
March 01, 2023 07:17PM
Lots of debate and comment on this subject today. I am in the camp of if we didn't eat it 10,000 years ago we don't need to eat it now.

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]
March 01, 2023 07:44PM
Yeah Pavan, but it tastes so good when one wants a sugar drink. Cavemen didn’t eat tasty foods. Sugar is one of my triggers.
But I agree it isn’t healthy and I limit my rare sugary drinks to stevia. I usually use agave which isn’t bad in comparison to sugar.
March 01, 2023 07:47PM
I started 6 months ago using Body Armor drinks. second ingredient is erythritol Just going back to coconut water
March 01, 2023 08:12PM
That study has come under a lot of criticism. I haven't read it myself, but it's not being well received by the science community.

That said, I don't consume fake sweeteners at all and never have. If I can't afford the calories of a natural sweetener then I don't need whatever it is.

I consider Gatorade, Body Armor and all those other supposed "sports drinks" total garbage. They're mostly just water, high-fructose corn syrup, and a teeny tiny bit of electrolytes and/or utterly useless vitamins.
March 01, 2023 09:16PM
Here is a possible metabolic reason. I wrote this in response to a T1 diabetic friend who asked me about it.

Here is the study: [www.nature.com]

Listened to fructose researcher, Rick Johnson MD (University of Colorado School of Medicine), at a conference this weekend. Rick has over 800 published papers and a long track record of NIH funding. The talk this weekend is not publically available, but here is a 3 part presentation he did about 10 months ago, plus 2 Peter Attia interviews. If you read the abstract, in the study link, erythritol is a polyall. Rick talks about how the polyall pathway is linked to vascular damage. In this slide, sorbitol is the polyall shown. Polyalls include: sorbitol, xylitol, erythritol, lactitol, mannitol, maltitol, isomaltitol. There are a number of pathways where the body makes its own fructose.

Basically, from the fructose research my understanding is that polyalls (which erythritol is one) can cause fructose generation in the body in the polyall pathway. Basically there are 4 or 5? pathways for fructose creation in the body that do not require fructose consumption.

I think the issue with fructose generation pathways in the body is a much bigger issue than just erythritol.

The three part Rick Johnson presentation on fructose (first three in list that aren't an ad) : [www.youtube.com]

& the two Attia interviews (first two in list):
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2023 09:18PM by GeorgeN.
March 02, 2023 12:01AM
I hate coffee black, but I like coffee. I also hate its bitterness, at least in most versions of it. So, I use heavy 18% cream and I use both Stevia packets and Sugar Twin packets. I know they're not great for the gut biome, but that's what kimchi's for. grinning smiley
March 02, 2023 07:37AM
I totally agree with Carey and garbage sports drinks. Body Armour drew me in with 700 mg of K 20 calories and I honestly thought Erythritol was from berries etc IE natural
Hes correct though : the hell with it i use such low sugar anyway it makes no difference. I love coconut water so back to that and water. I use turbinado sugar in coffee. Again though this study was done using people with pre existing heart disease
Ken
March 02, 2023 10:03AM
Back In 1968 - 1972 I raced Motocross in Texas, with many races in the summer. I found that Gatorade was a lifesaver because of the heat and sweat loss while racing. I could chug a quart in a couple of minutes and not feel bloated. It seemed to hydrate me immediately. Doing the same with water felt like I was swallowing a grapefruit.

I still drink Powerade when playing summer golf in North Carolina. A few more beneficial ingredients than Gatorade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 08:41AM by Ken.
March 02, 2023 12:15PM
If electrolyte replacement is your goal, and not the sugar, use NUUN.

[nuunlife.ca]

I have used it for years. It works, has a little flavour, and it is a solid electrolytic drink. No calories.
March 02, 2023 01:06PM
Sugars and fake sugars have all bent our perception of what sweet is. Avoid them all and start tasting the food again.
March 03, 2023 03:33PM
For electrolyte replacement and hydration please consider R.W. Knudsen Recharge Juice Sports Beverage with electrolytes. It comes in four flavors and has been around for a long time. Nothing artificial and very effective at hydration.
March 03, 2023 04:16PM
PeggyK
For electrolyte replacement and hydration please consider R.W. Knudsen Recharge Juice Sports Beverage with electrolytes.

With electrolyte (singular). It contains salt but no potassium. Good ingredient list, though.
March 04, 2023 02:37PM
A very good analysis - scan down a little to see it - [bradyholmer.substack.com]

Nice analogy with TMAO at the end as in LMAO @ TMAO
Joe
March 04, 2023 07:32PM
Excellent link PP, thank you! It echoes what Dr Peter Attia said in his blog/letter but with a bit more detail and some other thoughts.

[peterattiamd.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 07:35PM by Joe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login