Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Recommendations for lodging for Austin TX - Getting ablation at St Davids

Posted by Johnnyk80 
Need Recommendations for lodging for Austin TX - Getting ablation at St Davids
February 19, 2023 12:30PM
I'm getting an ablation in late March with Dr Natale. Looking for accomodations for my 4 day stay. Getting the ablation at St Davids. Closest hotels?

Thanks!
Re: Need Recommendations for lodging for Austin TX - Getting ablation at St Davids
February 19, 2023 02:08PM
The closest is the Days Inn just on the other side of I-35. It's an easy 1-block walk to St. David's. It's also very cheap. However, there's a reason it's cheap and you probably don't want to stay there. The mattresses needed replacing 10 years ago, the carpet is worn, and it's just kind of run down in general.

I usually stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Lavaca St. It's directly across the UT campus from St. David's, making it a cheap 10-minute Uber ride or even a nice 20-30 minute walk across the campus. Prices vary at Austin hotels dramatically depending on what's going on in town. For example, if UT football is playing a home game against a big rival, good luck even finding rooms.

Tips:

Austin traffic is atrocious, and rental car rates are sky high for some reason, much higher than in other Texas cities. Just use Uber and Lyft.

Don't stay in the hotels on the outer beltway. They're inexpensive and generally decent places, but there is nothing you can walk to. You'll have to get a ride to literally anywhere you want to go to eat, etc. The downtown and campus area is generally safe and very walkable with plenty of eateries to choose from.
Re: Need Recommendations for lodging for Austin TX - Getting ablation at St Davids
February 19, 2023 03:56PM
Good to know info, thanks, Carey!
February 19, 2023 04:03PM
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown, about 3 miles or 10 minutes from St David’s. They give a special rate for Saint David’s patients which makes it a bit cheaper. It was fine though by no means a luxury hotel. I agree – traffic is awful and Austin and Uber was quick and easy, even at 5 am!
February 19, 2023 04:23PM
I'm definitely taking notes here smiling smiley. Thanks for the additional info, Daisy!
February 20, 2023 02:56PM
Thank you for these tips! I appreciate it!
February 28, 2023 10:07AM
I always do VRBO or Airbnb when I go there. I found a great house that is just 5 minutes from the hospital. I'm actually staying there again in April. It's just $158/night and that includes all taxes, fees, etc. It's incredibly comfortable, clean, and well-stocked and the owner/host is amazing. He owns three homes on the same street but because they are so nice, clean, and comfortable (and affordable) they book up fast. If you're interested, shoot me a private message and I'll connect you with him.

Regardless, I haven't stayed in a hotel in probably 10 years. Even when I go somewhere for a night or two I always go VRBO or AirBNB. They are always much cheaper and you get room to roam! Who wouldn't want to recover in a home vs a stuffy hotel???

Travis
February 28, 2023 04:08PM
Thank Travis for that info! I like VRBO/AirBNB and have used it often for work travel. I didn't look yet since I'm not yet scheduled but hoped there were some good choices close by. Thanks for confirming that there are smiling smiley
February 28, 2023 05:36PM
Hyatt place. 10 minute Uber ride. Clean. And safe.
tvanslooten
I always do VRBO or Airbnb when I go there. I found a great house that is just 5 minutes from the hospital. I'm actually staying there again in April. It's just $158/night and that includes all taxes, fees, etc. It's incredibly comfortable, clean, and well-stocked and the owner/host is amazing. He owns three homes on the same street but because they are so nice, clean, and comfortable (and affordable) they book up fast. If you're interested, shoot me a private message and I'll connect you with him.

Regardless, I haven't stayed in a hotel in probably 10 years. Even when I go somewhere for a night or two I always go VRBO or AirBNB. They are always much cheaper and you get room to roam! Who wouldn't want to recover in a home vs a stuffy hotel???

Travis

Hello. I PM'ed you to get the airbnb recommendations!

John
March 03, 2023 02:42PM
P.S. I just booked at the Holiday Inn Midtown for the end of April. The price was $129 with the St. David’s discount. Online the price was $189.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login