Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RBC magnesium test and CRP test

Posted by Yuxi 
RBC magnesium test and CRP test
February 17, 2023 10:29AM
Here is my little AF history. I am female, 50 years old. Afib is my only health concern. I have been diagnosed Afib May 2019 in the emergency room, had only a few episodes in 2020 and 2021 so I did not pay much attention. During summer 2022 the episodes became more frequent, so I went to see a Cardiologist and had a normal Echo and stress test in August. After a long multiple day's episode in December, I started seeing an EP who prescribed Flecainide 50mg twice daily, I did not want to take it on a daily basis and rather using 100mg as PIP which worked so far. I also started taking 200mg Magnesium supplement daily 2 months ago. It really improved my sleep and lowered the frequency of my episodes. Last Nov and Dec my apple watch recorded 10 episodes each month, January it went down to 5, and February so far I had 3.

After reading Afib Cure, I did a RBC magnesium test and a CRP test first time. My RBC magnesium test came out with a result of 6.4, according to the Lab, the normal range is 4-6.4. I don't always have bowel movement every day and certainly no abdominal cramping and diarrhea. So I am really surprised mine has reached the upper end of the normal range already. Should I continue taking magnesium at this point?

CRP test score is 2.5, I guess this is considered high? Does this mean my heart has inflammation?

Appreciate your reading and thoughts.
Re: RBC magnesium test and CRP test
February 17, 2023 11:55AM
See if your MD will prescribe colchicine 0.6mg to take that CRP down, then set about trying to determine the root cause. Likely to be OSA and partially causal of your AF and CRP.
February 20, 2023 09:18PM
I don't see any reason to stop the magnesium supplementation, especially if you do not have at least one daily bowel movement. 6.4 is IDEAL according to what I've read about magnesium. It may be the reason you are having fewer Afib episodes. I'd sure do what I could to lower the CRP though if you can figure out the cause.
February 20, 2023 10:13PM
Yuxi
After reading Afib Cure, I did a RBC magnesium test and a CRP test first time. My RBC magnesium test came out with a result of 6.4, according to the Lab, the normal range is 4-6.4. I don't always have bowel movement every day and certainly no abdominal cramping and diarrhea. So I am really surprised mine has reached the upper end of the normal range already. Should I continue taking magnesium at this point?

CRP test score is 2.5, I guess this is considered high? Does this mean my heart has inflammation?

I agree with Lani, no reason to stop. I used a lot of daily magnesium for over 18 years as a key part of my afib remission program. My RBC mag tends to run in the mid to high 7's, but if I reduce it, I get more afib. I also do not have loose stools with my intake. From my experience, I'd advise increasing slowly mag intake till stools get a bit loose, then back off just a bit. I assume your kidney function is good - as good kidneys will excrete any excess mag.

CRP (assume high sensitivity or hsCRP?) can be inflammation anywhere in the body, not specifically heart. 2.5 is a bit high, but not awful. See: [www.mayoclinic.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2023 08:06AM by GeorgeN.
February 21, 2023 09:43PM
Thank you for your advise!
February 23, 2023 06:29AM
Sidenote - I take 200mg mag malate TID for years. Stopped for 2 weeks to give my organs a rest and happened to have some labs done - whoa.... low mag.

I do drink a lot of water and have a multi-stage water filter system but do not use a re-mineralizer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login