Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation 2/28/22. First flutter today 2/7/23....am I doomed?

Posted by Luvarose 
Ablation 2/28/22. First flutter today 2/7/23....am I doomed?
February 07, 2023 08:11PM
First afib flutter tonight for about a minute. Heart flip flopping. Will it reoccur with a vengance? Can I do anything to help? I had not drank any water today and had done quite a bit of walking. I really don't want another ablation.
Re: Ablation 2/28/22. First flutter today 2/7/23....am I doomed?
February 07, 2023 08:42PM
Hi Luvarose, welcome to the forum. Sorry this is happening but we really need to know more about you before we can offer useful comments. We have no idea how old you are, what medical conditions you have, what medications you're taking, or even what gender you are. So please give us a summary of you and your health issues.

One easy thing I can suggest is drink more water now. Dehydration happens more easily than you think and it can definitely trigger afib and flutter all by itself, even in people who don't have afib or flutter. So get yourself well hydrated and keep it that way.
February 07, 2023 09:02PM
Hi All
I am female, 67 years old. I take two low dose aspirin in the evening. I also take 25 mg of metoprolol, 1/2 pill in the am, the other at night. Restuvostatin 5 mg per day. I am 5'9" and weigh 205. My doctor stopped eliquis 6 months post ablation.
No other health issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2023 09:04PM by Luvarose.
February 07, 2023 09:05PM
Thank you.
February 07, 2023 10:27PM
I am female, 67 years old. I take two low dose aspirin in the evening. I also take 25 mg of metoprolol, 1/2 pill in the am, the other at night. Restuvostatin 5 mg per day. I am 5'9" and weigh 205. My doctor stopped eliquis 6 months post ablation.
No other health issues.
February 07, 2023 11:54PM
When did you have an ablation?
February 08, 2023 02:43AM
Luvarose
First afib flutter tonight for about a minute. Heart flip flopping. Will it reoccur with a vengance? Can I do anything to help? I had not drank any water today and had done quite a bit of walking. I really don't want another ablation.

How are you sure it was AFib or flutter or both?
About one minute is very short.
A couple runs of ectopics might resemble AFib.
I wouldn't mind such a short event, unless it happens repeatedly.
February 08, 2023 08:31AM
Not sure about flutter? It had the characteristic irregular heartbeat and fast irregular pulse. I am not sure what flutter is as vs afib? Ablation 2/28/22 just shy of a year ago.
February 08, 2023 10:06AM
Atrial flutter (AFL) is a very regular rhythm. If the heartbeat you're feeling is an irregular rhythm, that's most likely afib, not AFL.

AFL doesn't refer to the fluttering sensation many people with afib feel. It's an arrhythmia separate and distinct from afib, although it's similar in many ways. But the distinguishing characteristic between the two is that flutter is a regular rhythm and afib is a very irregular rhythm, so it sounds like what you're describing is afib.

But back to the duration. You say this lasted only a minute? If so, then watch the hydration and relax. A 1-minute episode doesn't really mean much. You're not doomed.
February 08, 2023 10:50AM
Few people know when they are in flutter. You may suspect that 'something' is going on if you feel unwell, but you're not likely to physically detect the flutter (with some variation, of course).

The palpitations you feel when you are experiencing an arrhythmia are not likely to be present during flutter. So, as Carey has suggested, what you experienced, palpitations, are almost certain to be AF. And there are many known triggers that cross from case-to-case. Mineral imbalances like too much calcium or too little potassium are on the list, as is dehydration. Unfortunately, it is very easy to forget to drink, or to provide for it.

I hate stating the following, but I am in that very boat: the disorder is always progressing. It might be retarded a great deal by mechanical 'fixes' here and there, now and then, but in the end the heart wins. This board is replete with members who have had to accept that interventions will only delay the finality of the disorder, whatever that end-state might be for any one of us. Sorry, but it's the honest truth, and it ought to be said.

My hope for you is that this is just a one-off protest for having neglected an important daily function for several too-many hours. Happens to the best of us. cool smiley
February 28, 2023 10:19AM
gloaming

I hate stating the following, but I am in that very boat: the disorder is always progressing. It might be retarded a great deal by mechanical 'fixes' here and there, now and then, but in the end the heart wins. This board is replete with members who have had to accept that interventions will only delay the finality of the disorder, whatever that end-state might be for any one of us. Sorry, but it's the honest truth, and it ought to be said.

You're obviously frustrated (and likely depressed) about your own situation but for the benefit of others seeking help and comfort, such remarks are best kept to yourself. As you said, if you "hate stating the following" then why say it? Why bring others down with you?

Yes, a-fib is a progressive thing but for many people a-fib doesn't end their lives or ruin their lives. I know countless people who have gone years (15-20+ years) with complete a-fib freedom after their ablations. I also know people that live perfectly normal lives with a-fib. There is always hope!

Our goal should be to help and comfort others, not feed into the negativity that often comes with this condition.

Travis
March 01, 2023 12:38PM
I accept your rebuke, Travis. I was probably not in a great space when I posted that. I agree, some things are often best left unsaid. Thanks for taking the time to remind me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login