Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good news and bad news

Posted by Geocappy 
Good news and bad news
November 25, 2022 05:10PM
Almost 3.5 months out from Natale ablation for 3 plus yrs (that I know) of persistent afib. So far I have been in NSR except for a few unclassified readings on kardia. Been off Flecainide for a month and down from 50mg to 25 mg for couple of weeks. HR has been about 85-90 for the most part with occasional move to 92-93. Bad news is tried to do yardwork today and immediately exhausted with back of neck immediately so fatigued I couldn’t raise head. It was immediate and probably a total of a half hour left in the need of having to lie down. I had issues a year before ablation with total fatigue and almost white out symptoms when golfing primarily in heat. Additionally had tightness in jaw and neck when eating and muscles very weak. Been trying to figure out the cause (cardiologist, neurologist, etc).
Joe
Re: Good news and bad news
November 25, 2022 06:48PM
Are you on any other medications?
November 25, 2022 10:55PM
Wow, weird. This doesn't sound like anything cardiac related to afib or flutter unless you were very dehydrated. How much liquid did you drink that day from the time you got up in the morning until you began doing yardwork? And how hot was it?
November 26, 2022 08:50AM
Yes, besides Metoprolol 25mg, Metformin 2000mg a day, rosuvastin 5mg, olmesartan 10mg, Doxazosin4mg, Ozempic .5/wk, and Xarelto 20mg/day
November 26, 2022 08:55AM
Not hot at all. But I am not good at hydrating. Normal day 16 ounce coffee (6regular and 8 decaf), 20-40 ounces water. Been doing that my whole life if not less. That fluid intake is with extra effort. My whole sports career I was bad at fluid intake.
November 26, 2022 11:36AM
Coffee is a diuretic so I'd count the coffee as zero fluid intake. You're taking Ozempic so presumably you have type II diabetes. Sounds like a good combination for chronic dehydration, which is the strongest afib trigger I know of, and I think that applies to everyone. I don't know if it's behind this episode you had, but it sure is an easy thing to fix.
Joe
November 26, 2022 07:49PM
Geocappy
Yes, besides Metoprolol 25mg, Metformin 2000mg a day, rosuvastin 5mg, olmesartan 10mg, Doxazosin4mg, Ozempic .5/wk, and Xarelto 20mg/day
Apart from possibly being dehydrated, i'd look up adverse effects of the other drugs. Statins for a start. While it might not show any adverse effects (euphemistically called side effects)while not exerting... .
As Carey says - start with right hydration, careful not to get waterloggedwinking smiley Water soluble nutrients etc...
November 27, 2022 07:50AM
I am thinking the dehydration possibility for me could be a major problem. I hate water and can sometimes go a whole day without drinking it except when taking medicines. I try to flavor it with flavoring such as Mio or Crystal light but I still do not always drink more than 20 ounces a day. Now I am reading these flavoring additives may not be good for you.
I need help because I struggle to remember to drink water and I struggle to drink when I do remember because I hate the taste. I love coffee (even my new half and half decaf) in morning but struggle to drink a water before noon.

I just read something about Goodonya hydrate packets to add to water?
November 27, 2022 10:25AM
Hydration packets (electrolytes) are a good idea—they also help you to retain water. There are many brands and many flavors so you should be able to find something you like. Some people mix the total amount for the day and set the container out on a counter to remind themselves to drink. It is particularly important to drink in the morning as you dehydrate over night.
November 27, 2022 11:19AM
Geocappy
I hate water and can sometimes go a whole day without drinking it except when taking medicines.

I've never heard anyone say they hate water, but if coffee is the only water you drink all day I'd say you're chronically dehydrated every day of your life. Okay, so if you need it flavored try flavored seltzers. Tasty with no added sugar, salt, etc.
November 27, 2022 07:01PM
I am that guy. Unfortunately, I am dealing with many poor habits of my youth. Too many sodas and coffee. So a diabetic coming off an ablation for afib. Trying to cut out the caffeine, eliminating sodas, and dealing with a dislike for water. Even struggled to get water in me as an professional athlete.

I read an article (or maybe an ad) commenting on the negatives of using artificial flavoring in water. It was promoting Goodonya hydration packets. They are $35 for 20 packets (1packet for 16oz water). I am already taking 800mg of magneseum, 5000iu of Vitamin D and 1000mcg b-12. So do I really need packets of electrolytes or just something to flavor water?
November 27, 2022 11:30PM
Geocappy
I read an article (or maybe an ad) commenting on the negatives of using artificial flavoring in water. It was promoting Goodonya hydration packets. They are $35 for 20 packets (1packet for 16oz water).

Oh, I'm shocked that they're telling you how horrible flavor packets are while trying to sell you flavor packets for $1.75 each. Why do you need "hydration packets" in the first place? Just drink WATER. If you need it to be flavored, fine. Flavored seltzers aren't full of artificial anything. Try some. My wife likes them and buys Polar brand. I'm looking at a can right now. It's cranberry lime flavor and contains carbonated water and natural flavors. Nothing else, and zero calories. They sell for the same price all the other soft drinks do.
November 28, 2022 01:11AM
I slice a cucumber into a large mason jar with water and store it in my fridge and refill the water and discard the cucumber at night. Or spike it with peppermint leaves. Or herbal non caffeine tea and drink it unsweetened. No sugar but it kills the taste of some brands of water. I happen to like Italian water. You can get it still or sparkling. Nice tasting water.
November 28, 2022 10:27AM
Add lemon, ginger thinly sliced, or even lime if you wish, and sweeten it with Stevia (liquid form, with a dropper, is easiest).

There are such things as decaffeinated teas and coffees. Naturally decaffeinated is rooibos tea. Acai teas, not necessarily as they may contain guarani.

Try Constant Comment tea sachets, by Bigelow. It comes in both forms. Very nice citrus and tropical flavours.

You can also get those small squeezable bottles of aspartame-sweetened flavour concentrates available at pretty much every grocer's. one variety is called 'Mio'. Just avoid a lot of it because the sweeteners OTHER THAN stevia are bad for the gut biome.
November 30, 2022 11:22AM
What's wrong with Whole Foods Asparagus water for $5.99 a bottle ?

[www.youtube.com]
November 30, 2022 05:41PM
PavanPharter
What's wrong with Whole Foods Asparagus water for $5.99 a bottle ?

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks. I needed a great humor video today about Whole Paycheck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login