Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pyroluria & Omega 3 oils

Posted by californiagal 
Pyroluria & Omega 3 oils
November 21, 2022 01:40AM
I was skimming some chapters on the book Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas today and her words on omega 3 oils and pyroluria caught my attention. She said some persons can have a worsening of symptoms (not specifically heart related) when taking omega 3 supplementation. She said if this happens, its good to test for pyroluria. (Pyrolura affects 11% of the population. It's a genetic condition and can be diagnosed by the presence of elevated kryptopyrroles in the urine). If one has pyroluria, one has a greater need for omega-6 oils in their diet. (Now, I haven't done due-diligence to verify if the author is correct, but I am impressed with her overall).
The reason I bring this up is that several times on this forum I've heard that fish oils are contraindicated with A-fib. Or, can be for some persons.
I wonder if there might be a relationship here...
Re: Pyroluria & Omega 3 oils
November 21, 2022 04:51PM
Possibly, but there's a fly in the ointment. Omega-6 is linoleic acid, and it is notoriously unstable at temperatures higher than about 6 deg C. It oxidizes quickly above, say, 12 deg, and acts in the body as a precursor to arachidonic acid. In turn, arachidonic acid is a stimulant for the body's inflammatory processes, which a person on COVID treatment and exposure definitely should avoid, but so should those with heart conditions. Such as AF. confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login