Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium supplements

Posted by californiagal 
Magnesium supplements
November 15, 2022 01:18AM
Hi everyone,
I must have 5-6 different kinds of magnesium in my cabinet, but I usually use magnesium ortotate or glycinate. The sulfur in the taurate burns my eyes after a few days as does garlic or and other high sulfer supplements. / I have magnesium L-Threonate that's good for the brain, although I don't take this regularly as I can feel sensations in my head when taking, which concerns me. I have a mag/potassium aspartate that I like, but only use on ocassion. I also have magesium malate, but have read that afibbers might do well to steer clear of this form as it can be stimulating.
I also have the Tri-mag supllement of taurate, glycinate and malate, but this doesn't work as well with my system. I even have magnesium choride bath salts. I'd love to find a daytime extended release magnesium, but haven't had luck finding one.

Regarding the mag ortotate, I recently had a Genova Lab NutraEval test and it found I had toxic amts of orotic acid. This may be from all the magnesium orotate I've been using for the past 3-4 months; maybe the equivalent of 200- 250 mg/ day, spread out. Hummm.

So I'd love some feedback from afibbers about magesiums they take. Forgive some laziness here. I've read much on this forum but haven't sought out the specific magnesium records. (I've also had trouble with the search engine. When I type 'magnesium', I get 3 posts that might mention the word but are about other topics).
Re: Magnesium supplements
November 15, 2022 07:17AM
I've tried several kinds of Mg supplements, and chelated type are said having the best bio availability.
There are some kinds of Mg supplements where the packaging annonces they contain 500mg/tab, but most of it is wasted in the toilet instead of being absorbed by the body.
Chelated type are far better, even if a single dose offers no more than 100mg of magnesium element, because their magnesium is combined with some amino acid helping useful absorbtion.
Whatever kind we take, the result is - as often - individual.
Both my cardiologist and EP said magnesium supplements wouldn't help me not having AFib, but were likely harmless.
I'm now convinced they were right. But it's me, and I'm a weird kind of afibber.
I'm still taking chelated Mg supplements, for they have other good side effects : they give me better sleep and help me avoiding constipation.
November 15, 2022 07:32AM
Everybody is different. I take a lot of dimagnesium malate and have for at least 12 years. I also take glycinate and chloride. For me, any mag works as long as I take enough.

Some thoughts for you. One would be "Waller Water." It is magnesium bicarbonate that is made from reacting magnesium hydroxide (the active ingredient in milk of magnesia) with chilled carbonated water. [www.afibbers.org] Many in the past have had good results making this and consuming over the day. This extensive post was written by the late Erling Waller (passed in his 90's), who developed the recipe with current member, Jackie).

Magnesium acetate will convert to mag bicarb in the body. It can be made by reacting magnesium hydroxide as milk of magnesia with vinegar in a 2:7 ratio (I use organic apple cider vinegar). It takes less time to make than Waller Water. See this post and this link in it

If you try either of these, suggest using milk of magnesia without any additives (only magnesium hydroxide and water). You can use magnesium hydroxide powder, but for Waller Water, add the powder to water first to make your own milk of magnesia before reacting with carbonated water. If you put the powder in the carbonated water, you'll get a geyser, as some of our members have told me privately.

I make my own "magnesium oil" by adding magnesium chloride flakes (in my case, "nigari") to water to create a supersaturated solution of water & magnesium. I consume 5 tsp daily (plus the malate and glycinate) - might be way too much for many others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 11:39AM by GeorgeN.
Ken
November 15, 2022 08:55AM
I take - Magnesium Chelate (glycinate) - from the vitamin shop on this web site. Normally 100 mg 2xday and sometime 300 a day. Been doing it for 15 years and have had two successful ablation - first good for 13 years and the second going on 3. No issues whatsoever.
November 15, 2022 11:58AM
I found that too much magnesium can trigger afib for me. E.g. 800mgs a day will do it, so now I am down to 100mgs of Magnesium Chelate (glycinate) a day.
November 15, 2022 02:13PM
I’m a fan of this product. I get it on the subscription option to save 15%. Easy on my GI:

Magnesium Glycinate - 100% Pure Albion TRAACS Bisglycinate Chelate Supplement - 200 mg
[www.amazon.com]

“ ALBION
TRAACS® Magnesium glycinate
(aka magnesium bisglycinate), is the most absorbable form of magnesium. No other form compares. So, we
only feature premium
Albion TRAACS®
100% Pure
Magnesium Glycinate.”
November 16, 2022 06:47AM
I’m a fan of the mg bicarbonate and make it myself. Instead of the milk of magnesia I just buy mg hydroxide from Bulk Supplements on Amazon. Its a cheap, pure, powder form and easier to deal with. Since I already had a CO2 source out in the garage I just had to buy some plumbing to carbonate a 1 liter bottle in which to make it in. Currently I’m switching over to a Stainless Steel jug because I’m not happy about the plastic bottles I’ve been using.

I add a little lemon juice & raw honey with mine to help it go down.

The process is not for everyone but I think it’s one of the best forms to get your mg from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2022 06:49AM by Rob626.
November 16, 2022 07:49AM
Rob626
I’m a fan of the mg bicarbonate and make it myself. Instead of the milk of magnesia I just buy mg hydroxide from Bulk Supplements on Amazon. Its a cheap, pure, powder form and easier to deal with..

Hi Rob, when you put the powder in the chilled CO2 water, do you dissolve it in some water first or do you just put the powder directly into the carbonated water? I ask as one person here told me he got a geyser when putting the powder in directly. So what is your technique?
November 16, 2022 10:16AM
GeorgeN
Hi Rob, when you put the powder in the chilled CO2 water, do you dissolve it in some water first or do you just put the powder directly into the carbonated water? So what is your technique?

Yep, that can be a problem. I keep my ready to go water bottles in the refrigerator. When I’m ready to make a batch I place a bottle from the refrigerator into the freezer for about an hour or however long it takes to get some ice slush to form. I’ll bounce it against the counter top to help break it up into a slush. I do this for two reasons. First the carbonation process is faster the colder the water is. Second, after I carbonate the water the remaining slush (ice floats on top of the water) forms a barrier to help slow down the powder entering the water while pouring it in. You still have to be quick pouring it in and get that cap on. I use a piece of wax paper to measure out the powder then fold it over so it slides into the bottle with a slight tap.

I can carbonate the water bottle in about 10 minutes using a Diffusion Air Stone. I put 45 PSI on the bottle and shake until air bubbles slow down coming out of the diffusion stone. Follow this Link to see my setup.

Like I mention I’m switching over to a SS jug for a couple of reasons. The plastic bottles both outgas and slough off things I don’t want. Also, one of these days I’m pretty sure putting 45 psi on a plastic bottle is going to cause a rupture eventually. Since there’s only a little air space in the bottle I don’t think it would be that dangerous, but I don’t need the excitement or mess.

So my plan is to use a small Corny Keg to make the carbonated water in, then transfer it into some Swing Top Bottles where I’ll add the mg to complete the process. Perhaps this will help me remember the good old days when I could drink a beer smileys with beer

I’ve been doing this for so long it’s like taking out the trash.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2022 12:28PM by Rob626.
November 17, 2022 02:44AM
Thanks for your posts, everyone. Helpful info!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login