Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TEE a vagal afib trigger?

Posted by susan.d 
TEE a vagal afib trigger?
July 28, 2022 03:43PM
Had my TEE Tuesday. Wednesday night in ER with afib. Converted. This morning at 9am I had the absolute worst flutter. 183 hr, 9/10 angina, feeling like I would faint, nausea, pale, white as a sheet, eyes shut (they kept calling my name to see if I had fainted), aware of my arms etc being moved. Surreal. About 8-10+ people. Presented at triage with 5 failed attempts to get a BP. Finally 55/46. I got converted with my friend-cardizem (15mg). First they tried 10mg and Dr wanted to ecv but I asked for the remaining 5mg shot into my IV. Converted. This was my worst episode.

In the past bending, slouching on couch, vomiting produced a vagal trigger.

So can a TEE irritated my esophagus and trigger this? I can’t even go 12 hours now in nsr. Local EP wants an AV nuke ablation. Natale is here this week so I hope to ask his opinion since I still have angina and will be admitted.
Re: TEE a vagal afib trigger?
July 28, 2022 05:55PM
I don't know but prayers for you. I'm so sorry.
July 28, 2022 06:21PM
I had a wonderful 6.5 month nsr run on Sotalol. Our AC (heat maybe the trigger?) broke Friday which set this new marathon of horrific symptomatic episodes. Two doctors want to nuke my heart with an AV ablation. I’m waiting for a required Natale referral since he wasn’t listed as my attending admission doctor (he is at this hospital this week) so I can discuss my options if I can see him when he is doing rounds before he heads back.
July 28, 2022 06:21PM
I suppose it's possible.
July 28, 2022 07:58PM
My bad luck Carey. I should had postponed it. My 6 week tee and my endoscopy gave me no problems. Maybe Friday’s episode created new pathways which is the cause. I’m still in the er waiting for a room and again went into 133 tachycardia. Luckily my pacemaker converted it. A nurse was watching the monitor and saw how both A&V chambers were pacing me down ten points at a time to 55hr. It’s not true that one doesn’t feel the PM therapy bursts. It does hurt. Amazing Metronics battery.

Nobody stopped in to give me any I’ve for hydration nor any drugs like my sotalol
July 29, 2022 12:26PM
bettylou4488
I don't know but prayers for you. I'm so sorry.

I regret getting the TEE because I’m vagal and got my worst high tachycardia episode plus 54/46 BP yesterday morning. I may pass on the 12 month TEE. Not worth it.

I’m still in ICU. Zoo here because the hospitalist (generic hospital assigned provider doctor) decided against Natale’s NP’s instructions to pharmacy to increase my sotalol to keep me in nsr. Instead the hospitalist stopped it yesterday (he determines my meds)- “I’m not comfortable with this drug” and I had a second tachycardia in the afternoon without my drugs. So I was upgraded to the ICU. Still not getting my new dose of sotalol. In nsr currently hopefully I won’t get another episode without my needed sotalol dosage.
July 30, 2022 10:52AM
My experience: Watchman with Dr N 2/16. TEE in Charlotte 3/31 Dr Holshouser. Then for 6 weeks approx i had flutters and a few 30-60 sec tachs but all stopped june and july
So idk if a TEE could stimulate? After my Watchman i asked Dr Natale if i now have a blanking period : he said no not really but anytime we poke around the left atrium it could trigger an episode. So may be same with TEE? I had nothing after my 8-6-21 Austin ablation nothing after 2/16/22 Watchman just after my 3/31 TEE
July 30, 2022 02:58PM
susan.d
I’m still in ICU.

How are you doing now? Were you able to see Dr. Natale?
July 30, 2022 10:28PM
Yes Dr Natale came by today. He said it’s reasonable that the TEE could had triggered my flutter/afib. IMHO It’s not carved in stone but I am super sensitive being vagal. I’m passing on the 12 month TEE and was told to remain on half dose Eliquis for life with permission to stop it for surgeries etc. My 6 month tee showed like my 6 week tee that I am sealed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login