Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transitory aFib

Posted by Mark 
Transitory aFib
July 22, 2022 11:32PM
Can aFib be a transitory event? What I mean is, if you develop a serious illness, sickness, disease, etc during which you are “diagnosed” with aFib, can you be “undiagnosed” as having aFib once that condition is corrected? In other words, can aFib just be a temporary/transitory condition until another condition thought to cause it is corrected? Ugh! Not sure I understand this now!!
Re: Transitory aFib
July 23, 2022 02:17AM
My understanding is some people are prone to AFib. It's likely genetic.
There are conditions favouring AFib. If they're transitory, one might be afib free for a while when those conditions are away.
Infections, in my case (cold, flu...), excess tiredness or bad hydratation increase the risks having an episode.
So, for me, the answer to your question is yes.
July 23, 2022 08:23AM
Yes, though there is a saying "afib begets afib." Hence once you've had afib, it is much easier to have it again. This is because of physical and electrical remodeling during the afib.
July 23, 2022 11:13AM
Yes, look up "holiday heart." The same thing can happen with major surgery, especially heart surgery, also serious illnesses and trauma.
July 23, 2022 11:30PM
Did read several “holiday heart” articles. Interesting concept. If I’m correct, no aFib like treatments were recommended i.e. noac’s, eliquis, etc. Would that be wise? Should it be done for a short period of time following the aFib episode? I guess I’m wondering if another condition is thought to have caused the aFib what should be done about it and/or for how long. Reason for my interest…I have a friend who has been in slow rate aFib/flutter going on a month. Doc thinks it’s related to a thyroid condition which they’re treating but the PC and cardiologist are just letting the AFib ride. IDK, am I missing something? What is the stroke risk even if the arrhythmia is of the “holiday heart” constellation? I suggested an EP consultation. Not sure that could hurt.

GeorgeN….Also read your post about the friend who got CoVid related aFib. How should that be treated long term once the person returns to NSR? Are they treated like they have AFib or not? Hope your friend is doing well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 11:38PM by Mark.
July 24, 2022 12:05PM
Holiday heart isn't usually treated beyond the moment. An ER will probably administer diltiazem to slow it down, but that's about it. Other causes like heart surgery might be treated but whether it needs an anticoagulant will be determined by their CHADS-Vasc score, not just the fact that they're in afib.
July 24, 2022 12:18PM
Mark
GeorgeN….Also read your post about the friend who got CoVid related aFib. How should that be treated long term once the person returns to NSR? Are they treated like they have AFib or not? Hope your friend is doing well?

My friend lives in a different city so haven't chatted with him since last Monday, hence no update. His CHA₂DS₂-VASc score is 0, so they just prescribed aspirin. He was sent home in afib and has an appointment with his PCP in a week or so. Hopefully he converts to NSR soon. I suggested that staying out of rhythm for a long time was not a good idea.

I'm guessing they will just follow him once he's in NSR to see if he goes into afib again. I did suggest discussing PIP flecainide with his doc.

I'm sure it is individual whether it is a one-off situation or afib comes back on a regular basis.
LLA
July 24, 2022 02:59PM
I’m wondering if Afib could be considered transitory from a health insurance standpoint? I’ve heard that Afib is a disqualifying condition if one is applying for a Medicare Supplement plan. So if one if not currently in Afib, but has a history of treatment for it, would they still not be accepted on a supplement plan?
July 24, 2022 04:16PM
LLA
I’m wondering if Afib could be considered transitory from a health insurance standpoint? I’ve heard that Afib is a disqualifying condition if one is applying for a Medicare Supplement plan. So if one if not currently in Afib, but has a history of treatment for it, would they still not be accepted on a supplement plan?

I have a long documented history of treatment for Afib and was accepted into one Medicare Supplement plan, then a few years later switched to another, and was again accepted.
July 24, 2022 04:34PM
LLA
I’ve heard that Afib is a disqualifying condition if one is applying for a Medicare

That is not true. There are no disqualifying conditions for any Medicare plan.
July 24, 2022 04:49PM
Carey
That is not true. There are no disqualifying conditions for any Medicare plan.

This may be state dependent, according to this: [www.medicarefaq.com]

Though I'm on Medicare, have no current experience as my supplement plan is through my wife's retirement. However, recalled with my mother there was not an issue going to a Medicare Advantage plan, but there was going the other way. She was in an old plan that was very expensive and could only transfer to an Advantage plan, but not to one of the cheaper medigap ones as she had a cancer diagnosis. I skated around the issue as I planned to move her out of state to be near me. I transferred her to an Advantage plan, then when she moved out of the Advantage coverage area (in her case, out of state), she had a free window to transfer into a medigap plan without underwriting.
July 24, 2022 05:49PM
Okay, I should have qualified my statement. Once you go to an Advantage plan it's difficult to switch plans or go back to traditional Medicare. If another Advantage plan is willing to take you, THEN they can impose underwriting requirements. But there are no qualifying conditions to enter into any Medicare plan for the first time.
July 24, 2022 08:05PM
I would be a little concerned about the label of Holiday Heart. That, frankly, is what I thought I was dealing with for several years with a frequency of only a few times per year, which would resolve on its own within 24 -48 hours. My events were "always" after having a few drinks the night before and I'd notice my HR abnormality at the gym the next day. In May of 2021 I had an episode that would not quit until I went to the ER. Apparently I have AFib, and not something less. Could Holiday Heart be AFib that hasn't progressed yet???
July 24, 2022 11:35PM
Well, it seems your experience shows it could be. Misdiagnosis is always possible, especially in a single ER visit.
LLA
July 25, 2022 12:46AM
Thanks for all your input. My mistake was going on a Medicare Advantage plan when I first started Medicare, before I had Afib. Then I switched to Original Medicare, since Dr. Natale was out of network for the Advantage plan. Being able to choose your providers comes with a cost, but it was definitely worth it to have him for my EP.
July 25, 2022 01:07AM
I have medicare and Blue Cross as my supplement plan, I cannot switch to another cheaper plan when I tell them I have AF, they don't accept AF patients. Blue Cross keeps me as I have been with Blue X for a great number of years, way before I got AF. Blue X was offered where I worked and when I retired, my husband and I kept Blue X as it was a lot cheaper years ago, but I am stuck with them. I don't want the Advantage plan as they tell you which doctor you can see.
July 25, 2022 01:00PM
Elizabeth
I have medicare and Blue Cross as my supplement plan, I cannot switch to another cheaper plan when I tell them I have AF, they don't accept AF patients. Blue Cross keeps me as I have been with Blue X for a great number of years, way before I got AF. Blue X was offered where I worked and when I retired, my husband and I kept Blue X as it was a lot cheaper years ago, but I am stuck with them. I don't want the Advantage plan as they tell you which doctor you can see.

Are you sure you can’t switch? I switched, went through underwriting, but was still approved into the new Medigap program that I wanted.
LLA
July 25, 2022 03:21PM
Daisy, that’s encouraging information! When open enrollment time comes, I’ll see if I can get approved on a MediGap plan. I should have chosen traditional Medicare when first eligible. At that time it would have been easier to get any MediGap plan without underwriting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login