Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stopping aspirin after watchman for medical procedure

Posted by ron 
ron
Stopping aspirin after watchman for medical procedure
July 15, 2022 11:10AM
I have a procedure coming that I may need a spinal block. I read mixed reviews on stopping aspirin or not for a spinal saddle block.

What are the dangers of stopping aspirin during medical procedures following a watchman implant? I am in my 4th year with a properly placed watchman.

Ron
Re: Stopping aspirin after watchman for medical procedure
July 15, 2022 11:26AM
Four years out you're at very little risk, but the question of whether you need to stop the aspirin is still debated, as you've discovered. Personally, I think stopping the aspirin is such low risk that I would do so. I'm also four years out from a Watchman but I'm on a half-dose of Eliquis instead of aspirin. When I asked about stopping the Eliquis for hernia repair surgery just months after it was implanted, the answer was go right ahead and just stop. There's actually very little (if any) evidence that either of us needs to be on anything.
Re: Stopping aspirin after watchman for medical procedure
July 15, 2022 02:08PM
I’m sure every patient and EP protocol differs. In my case I had my watchman and my maestro EP told me no aspirin was needed because I had GI bleed. I went straight to 2.5mg Eliquis 24 hours after the watchman with permission to stop Eliquis for 3 days for a colonoscopy. In fact my GI dr wanted 5 days without any blood thinners and my EP gave permission.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login