Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heart rate real low 3 days??

Posted by Madeline 
Heart rate real low 3 days??
July 04, 2022 05:32PM
Hi,

Not sure what is gping on with me.

About 3 weeks ago my carvedilol was raised from 6.25 mg BID TO 12.5 BID. I think kind of for insurance til I get flutter ablation. I had flutter May15th. This was the third time of flutter since my afib ablation 8/2/19 so finally decided to go ahead and schedule “touch up “ablation with Natale.

My cardiologist said to keep it at this double dose unless it went below 100 as it did once on the first week, and on the second week it did not go below 100 so he said to keep it at 12.5. Then by the third and fourth week it’s kept going under 100 but it has been July 4 holidays and I have no way to get in touch and I’m not going to the ER for this.

In the meantime, last Wednesday I tripped on roots in the woods and tore my hamstring. I am on Eliquis 5 mg BID. Took an Aleve the first two days and the doctor’s nurse said not to take it anymore. I do take a high-quality turmeric twice a day which is total about 1300. By Thursday my leg was showing bruising and by Sunday the bruising is spreading and I have significant blue purple and gray all over my leg from the calf up to the hamstring on one leg and on the ankle on the other leg. intermittently I keep getting very low blood pressures. The first day it happened I took no carvedilol a.m or p.m. The next day being afraid to stop it cold turkey without having advice from my doctor, I went back to the original dose of 6.25 b.i.d.. that morning my blood pressure was something like 122/80 before taking any meds and having taken no carvedilol the day before. A few hours after I took the 6.25, I had double digits blood pressure again.

I hope to be able to get in touch with a doctor tomorrow to assess if I’m doing the right things. I would like to ask why my blood pressure is dropping so much. When one has had an injury and bruising a lot, would that be making me anemic? i am wearing KT tape on the affected hamstring area. I am icing maybe three or 4 times a day. I have also started some mild recovery exercises that I found on the Internet for this. Probably 70% of the day I am pretty tired, but at other or times I have straightened up the house a bit, made dinner and even took my niece from out of town out to dinner last night, having to sit on the edge of the chair so as not to sit on my hamstring.

Any thoughts on the BP? Could the extreme fatigue and lack of exercise be causing the low BP as I am usually very active? What to do? Should I continue taking the carvedilol 6.2 5 BID?

Thanks. And happy Fourth of July!
Re: Heart rate real low 3 days??
July 04, 2022 06:23PM
The Cardeviloil wiped me out, the most I could take was 6.25 BID. I didn't get low BP, but just extreme lethargy and fatigue. If it was me, I would just take the dose of Carvedilol at 6.25 dose I was comfortable at, and then if needed, add another type of rate control drug called a Calcium Channel Blocker (Diltiazem). The Diltiazem can also lower blood pressure, so you would have to experiment a little.

Also how long are your Flutter episodes? keeping your HR under 100 is important if your episodes are ongoing, especially more than 24 hours. However if your episodes are much shorter, like only several hours, than it's very likely not going to harm you to have a HR slightly over 100. The 100 figure cited, is the general rate that your heart would have to be constantly beating at in excess of 24 hours, in order to weaken the heart muscle from going faster than it can sustain on the long term.

It doesn't sound like its worth it to take the higher dose of Carvedilol.
July 05, 2022 02:31PM
I dont think its advised to take Turmeric while on Eliquis
July 05, 2022 04:56PM
Poppino
I dont think its advised to take Turmeric while on Eliquis

I guess it depends how much! My EP was fine with me taking a moderate dose of curcumin which is sort of concentrated turmeric.
July 05, 2022 06:03PM
Probably so. I just know the list lol. Ibuprofen garlic alcohol wobenzyme aspirin etc. In moderation all might be ok. Im almost 5 months post Watchman!
July 05, 2022 06:11PM
The Anti-Fib
The Cardeviloil wiped me out, the most I could take was 6.25 BID. I didn't get low BP, but just extreme lethargy and fatigue. If it was me, I would just take the dose of Carvedilol at 6.25 dose I was comfortable at, and then if needed, add another type of rate control drug called a Calcium Channel Blocker (Diltiazem). The Diltiazem can also lower blood pressure, so you would have to experiment a little.

Also how long are your Flutter episodes? keeping your HR under 100 is important if your episodes are ongoing, especially more than 24 hours. However if your episodes are much shorter, like only several hours, than it's very likely not going to harm you to have a HR slightly over 100. The 100 figure cited, is the general rate that your heart would have to be constantly beating at in excess of 24 hours, in order to weaken the heart muscle from going faster than it can sustain on the long term.

It doesn't sound like its worth it to take the higher dose of Carvedilol.

Thank you. Ooops, I meant to title this that my BP was real low, not my HR/pulse. And, no - carvedilol does not bother me much at 6.25 BID & the 12.5 is tolerable too. I think it had something to do with my tearing my hamstring, lethargy - can't move much, lying about icing, resting & am very tired & it seems to beget more fatigue & I also wondered about blood thinner + turmeric & all the broken blood vessels, etc., making me weaker.

My cardiologist also said turmeric was all right to do while on Eliquis, but I think this was an extenuating circumstance & it being over the "holiday time of July 4th" I never got to contact him to ask about this. On advice from Carey, whom I asked for help Saturday, I just skipped carvedilol the first day altogether, then restarted it at my original 6.25 dose next day (but still having low BPs). I am still monitoring & will get with cardiologist on that.

I have only had 3 flutter episodes since my afib ablation & the last one was mid May up to 215 bpm. Lasted about 5 hr. Did go to ER. I have had no more flutter since (not a very long time - 1 1/2+ mo). But I am scheduling flutter ablation with Natale before the problem grows & I got some dates from them today. (guess ppl might be canceling due to COVID & heat!)

Thank you for your input & thanks to Poppino & Daisy too.

For now, I need to take only Eliquis - will be checking everything else (supp-wise) that I take to make sure not thinning my blood more. (like stuff on Popp's list).
July 05, 2022 07:48PM
Madeline
I got some dates from them today

What range of dates were you given? I’m still waiting to hear and wondering when they are scheduling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login