Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COVID-19 Vaccine Does Not Increase CV Event Risk in Those With Existing Disease

Posted by susan.d 
COVID-19 Vaccine Does Not Increase CV Event Risk in Those With Existing Disease
June 28, 2022 03:26AM
[www.practiceupdate.com]

“FRIDAY, June 24, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- There is no evidence of an increased risk for major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) after vaccination with BNT162b2 or CoronaVac in patients with cardiovascular disease (CVD), according to a study published online June 22 in Cardiovascular Research.”

Sign up for Practice Update’s Cardiology Daily Digest if you are interested in other interesting articles.
Que
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Does Not Increase CV Event Risk in Those With Existing Disease
July 19, 2022 05:40PM
Hi, I was told by Dr. Natale's nurse in Pasos Robles they thought Covid Vaccination was triggering Afib. I've been meaning to ask here about that. Would the above study negate that claim?
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Does Not Increase CV Event Risk in Those With Existing Disease
July 19, 2022 07:48PM
No, that study only looked at major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, etc. It didn't even consider afib.

Afib can be triggered by inflammation from any source and all vaccines can cause a temporary spike in inflammatory processes, so it's probably not surprising that it can trigger afib in some people. But I wouldn't consider that much of a reason to avoid the vaccine.
July 19, 2022 08:44PM
Que, the same person told me the identical advice at Robles. Also the chief of cardiology NP too.
July 19, 2022 09:03PM
On a call with a friend last night. He and his wife are very healthy, very metabolically fit, active - but not excessive. They both got COVID a week or so ago. He had some bad gastrointestinal stuff after the head cold like stuff subsided. Turns out he also had afib (no prior afib before). So a big association with the bug. On the advice of an EP neighbor his wife walks with in the morning, she took him to the ER. A full workup & all good except for being in afib. His afib HR is low (55), Chads2Vasc of 0, so they sent him home telling him to take aspirin. Didn't want to ECV him as his BP was low. His serum mag was very low. He has extremely low oral magnesium tolerance. I suggested he go get an IV MgCL2 infusion and talk to a cardio about a flec script. Also to get some MgCl2 flakes, make his own magnesium oil (supersaturated solution of MgCl2 & water) to apply transdermally on an ongoing basis.
Que
July 20, 2022 03:49PM
Interesting, so if the vaccine is thought to trigger Afib, what is the advice as naturally the protection from the vaccine is important too?
July 20, 2022 06:27PM
The advice is get vaccinated. Afib won't kill you, but COVID will.

Or almost worse, it may leave you with long COVID. Read up on it. You really, really, really don't want long COVID. I know a guy who had it, and he was sick and unable to work for over a year.
July 20, 2022 07:06PM
I was told about the risk of getting my booster and in my fragile situation the advice was directed to me, (2nd moderna gave me intense afib) but like Carey’s advice, getting covid is worst so I was vax for the booster on my own accord with zero problems. In August I’m eligible for a second booster which I will get.
July 20, 2022 11:08PM
Carey
The advice is get vaccinated. Afib won't kill you, but COVID will.

Or almost worse, it may leave you with long COVID. Read up on it. You really, really, really don't want long COVID. I know a guy who had it, and he was sick and unable to work for over a year.

I’ll second that. I have a post viral illness which manifests the same way as long Covid. You do NOT want to get long Covid. One of the common manifestation is Dysautonomia and EPs are seeing lots of long Covid patients with this. Dysautonomia is extremely hard to live with. Think starting to pass out whenever you are upright for more than a few minutes.
Que
July 21, 2022 06:11PM
Ok thank you.
Que
July 21, 2022 06:21PM
The CVS site has this warning, which explains the issue. I've had 3 does of the Moderna vaccine.

Would it make sense to switch to Janssen / J&J, especially since I'm on Eliquis now and will likely stop soon?

Pfizer and Moderna

People receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna), especially males aged 12 to 39 years, should be aware of the rare possibility of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) or pericarditis (inflammation of the lining outside the heart) following receipt of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines and the need to seek care if symptoms of myocarditis or pericarditis (such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or palpitations) develop after vaccination. The CDC has stated that extending the range between vaccine doses to more to 8 weeks may reduce the risk of myocarditis.

Janssen / J&J

Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), extremely rare clotting events have been reported after vaccination with the Janssen/J&J vaccine, primarily among women aged 18-49 years. Individuals should be aware of the availability of other FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines).
July 21, 2022 10:29PM
In my opinion, no. The Moderna vaccine has proven to be the safest, most effective vaccine available. I'm guessing you're not a male between 12 and 39 years old, so why are you worried about this?
Que
July 22, 2022 05:57PM
Thanks, Carey, I appreciate the help. I'm looking into it, as Dr. Natale's nurse told me there was a risk.

Correct, I'm not in the high-risk group, so not likely a big deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login