Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

lexiscan and atrial fibrillation?

Posted by susan.d 
lexiscan and atrial fibrillation?
June 23, 2022 02:41PM
I’m very sensitive. Been on a winning 5.5 month nsr streak. I’m scheduled by a cardiologist’s NP (not EP) to get a lexiscan stress test. They say my heart will react as if I was on a treadmill but the secretary says it won’t cause afib.

Anyone get afib from the drug lexiscan?
LLA
Re: lexiscan and atrial fibrillation?
June 30, 2022 12:24AM
I had a Lexiscan stress test a few weeks before my ablation. Since I was already in persistent Afib at the time, I don’t know if it had any effect on that. It did raise my heart rate and blood pressure, but fortunately they went back down soon after the test was over…That was a little stressful, but the scan part was more relaxing.
June 30, 2022 01:26AM
I canceled the test scheduled today because I’m 172 days not in the ER. I was in the ER weekly every Saturday then admitted to Monday or Tuesday from thanksgiving to 1-8-22. My ECV record is 52 times because my flutter would get to mid 200s hr. I am sick of ERs and weekly admissions and ICUs. I didn’t think it was worth wrecking my nsr streak by taking lexicon. However my angina remains. Can’t they see anything during the nuclear test without lexicon? There must be a non invasive test.
June 30, 2022 11:12AM
yea July isn't the time for that too-- all the new residents come in rotation in July. It is their beginning of the year. So you can't do a regular stress test? I have always done a treadmill and I know there is a bike option too. (And various protocols with the standard one being the "bruce" protocol.). But they can adjust physical protcols based on need of course they want to get your heart rate up. So if you can't with that- then the nuclear. but I know nothing of this Lexicon so maybe that is something different. or maybe that is the standard nuclear.

One other thought- so I had an echo coming up with my congenital doc. I just got done with ablation and doing well but I don't want to lay on my left side and have them pushing around there. And the doc said "well we won't change what we are doing based on what we see." So I would ask that specifically- what will change with this information. It is a superb question for all docs on all tests and I'm thrilled my doc thought of it before I asked. (I do similar with supplements.. "I know you don't think this will help me but do you see any harm..." Because many don't like sups and stuff.)
June 30, 2022 12:35PM
Susan, here is the physician's prescribing information. You might want to read it. This quote is included. "New-onset or recurrent atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular response and atrial flutter have been reported following Lexiscan injection."
LLA
June 30, 2022 03:31PM
After reading the physician’s prescribing information list of Warnings and Precautions for the Lexicon, I probably would have asked to just do the treadmill instead! There was a treadmill in the room, so I assume it was an option. Wondering if they didn’t have me do the treadmill because I was on metoprolol and diltiazem at the time, and would take longer to get my heart rate up?
June 30, 2022 04:51PM
It was an option but many of my 52 ecv’s were from exercising —well technically leaning over weeding my garden or leaning over and replacing a sprinkler head. Mostly leaning over or walking too fast. If I walk faster than a decrepit-walker-crawl-speed my hr will get real fast. I don’t use a walker but know the speed if I’m stuck in line behind someone with a walker. Most of the time walking jumps from pacemaker pacing 55 to the 130s quickly and then flutter starts. Anyway, I’m going on vacation soon and don’t want to miss it with running on a treadmill or walking too fast. Walking fast up down / stairs doesn’t escalate my hr. No problem zipping up and down. Go figure. It just gets to the 70s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login