Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Now and then I just want a drink.

Posted by PavanPharter 
Now and then I just want a drink.
June 16, 2022 09:47AM
Alcohol has zero to do with my af history. I might have a few drinks a year over the last 30 years. But since having af I've given up soda and regular coffee because of caffeine. Now and then I'd just like to have a drink. By drink, I mean scotch on the rocks or some brandy. Any problems with that?
Re: Now and then I just want a drink.
June 16, 2022 10:40AM
It's very individual so all you can do is try it and see what happens. Moderation is the only rule.
June 16, 2022 10:49AM
Mine is a hot chocolate drink. I wanted a flipping cup of hot chocolate drink since 2004 since my afib begun but I have an A type personality so I have self control. I would drive to Starbucks which was next door to my pharmacy when picking up my monthly RXs and enter Starbucks just to sniff the smell of chocolate. Pathetic. I was a sniffing stalker of chocolate lingering scents.

After my second Natale ablation (3 months), I decided what the heck so I had one teaspoon worth. I went straight into afib and ruined the ablation and I developed a marathon of afib and needed a #3 ablation. By then Dr Natale said my mapping lit up like a Christmas tree in my right atrium and I had firing everywhere so he couldn’t get every spot because I was in duress and was ecv 8 times during the ablation only to wake up in a 190 hr.

It was not worth the teaspoon of bliss. I switched pharmacies so the new one isn’t next door to Starbucks so I stopped following the scent and frustration.

Carey’s advice is sound. If you get afib from drinking, you have to decide if your drinking is worth it.
June 16, 2022 03:56PM
PavanPharter
Alcohol has zero to do with my af history. I might have a few drinks a year over the last 30 years. But since having af I've given up soda and regular coffee because of caffeine. Now and then I'd just like to have a drink. By drink, I mean scotch on the rocks or some brandy. Any problems with that?
IMO, alcohol is far worse than caffeine.
June 16, 2022 05:26PM
Neither one ever had any effect on my afib at all. In fact, there are studies showing that caffeine is actually helpful for afib.
June 16, 2022 06:24PM
Carey
Neither one ever had any effect on my afib at all.

Not for everyone. You maybe in the minority. I know a few who can’t tolerate caffeine without a breakthrough. Maybe it’s a genetic disposition. If my mom (every time) drank caffeinated tea she went into afib but she wouldn’t give up her Snapple. She made the call. Dr Natale’s NP said she could eat tons of salty food and she will never get her first afib and yet commented on the other hand it’s a genetic disposition on a patient to patient basic what triggers their afib.

Where is your caffeine study link? I would love to discuss it with my regular EP.
June 16, 2022 06:34PM
Carey
It's very individual so all you can do is try it and see what happens. Moderation is the only rule.

I concur. Have recently had correspondence with an afibber where alcohol is the primary trigger. In my case, a glass or two of red wine has never been a trigger for me. I no longer drink at all as alcohol negatively impacts my sleep quality, but afib was not part of my decision to not consume.
June 16, 2022 08:58PM
susan.d
Not for everyone. You maybe in the minority.

That's what I said. I said "It's very individual."

Links to studies supporting caffeine as possibly helpful or at least not harmful:

Is Caffeine Safe, Protective For Patients With AFib, Arrhythmias?

Beverages Of Daily Life: Impact Of Caffeine On Atrial Fibrillation

There are more.
June 17, 2022 10:40AM
Last time I had some caffeine in my coffee it was atrial flutter. When I drink it's only a few sips or so. I guess I'll have to try it and see if I can manage.
June 17, 2022 03:29PM
The weak point of most studies about atrial fibrillation, IMO, is in the selection of patients. I'd like to read about studies performed with a clear separation between patients.
An afibber does not equal another afibber. Aside of their AF, what have in common a patient with some health issues and adrenergic triggers and a healthy one with overactive vagal tone ? Can caffeine be bad for one and good for the other ?
I'm obviously "vagal". In my case, caffeine does nothing but alcohol strongly increases the risk of having afib.
Have most vagal-type afibbers noticed the same effects ? Is it the opposite ? Mixed ?
Studies are interesting, but I'd take them with a pinch of salt.
June 17, 2022 05:14PM
Pompon
An afibber does not equal another afibber. Aside of their AF, what have in common a patient with some health issues and adrenergic triggers and a healthy one with overactive vagal tone ? Can caffeine be bad for one and good for the other ?
I'm obviously "vagal". In my case, caffeine does nothing but alcohol strongly increases the risk of having afib.

I'm vagal and 1 or 2 glasses of wine is not an issue for me with respect to afib (I have not had excess alcohol for decades). I don't drink coffee, but have had tea, chocolate and chocolate covered coffee beans. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and theobromine with respect to sleep, but none of this has ever been an afib trigger for me. I genetically am a slow caffeine metabolizer.

I'm guessing it is very individual.
June 18, 2022 05:57PM
I drink two cups of coffee every morning. One cup is caffeinated the second cup is decaf. It seems to have absolutely no bearing on my AFib. My understanding is that some recent studies have indicated that even moderate alcohol use can lead to a greater recurrence of afib following a successful ablation. For that reason the most alcohol I am drinking is maybe one glass of wine every two weeks with a meal. Before I would drink a glass almost every evening with my dinner. I'm choosing not to take a chance and mess up my successful ablation. I do miss the wine though.
June 19, 2022 08:03AM
Wine was a trigger for me once. The doc (not EP) said.. well try booze instead.. something about ?? the sulfites or something in the wine. IDK. I never did since I'm from a family of alcoholics and it seemed like a pretty good reason to give up alcohol all together! I will occasionally have a sip of my husband's gin and tonic .. it's tasty. lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login