Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Xarelto after successful ablation and no AF episodes

Posted by aldona 
Xarelto after successful ablation and no AF episodes
June 16, 2022 05:48AM
Who was prescribed Xarelto post successful ablation and with NO AF episodes? I had 4 ablations, two in Bordeaux in 2006 and 2007 when I was asked to take blood thinner for one month. Only post-ablation. In my last, 4th ablation, very extensive, in 2020, I was prescribed Xarelto to take continuously. I have no episodes of AF.
Re: Xarelto after successful ablation and no AF episodes
June 16, 2022 10:44AM
Pretty much everyone who's had an ablation has been on Xarelto, Eliquis, or some other anticoagulant. What actually matters is your CHADS score. You can calculate it here.
June 16, 2022 06:50PM
Thank you for your reply. I am wondering if 10 mg of Xarelto is used in the USA for stroke prevention, considering that 20mg was considered the min dose, but I have found this article.
June 16, 2022 09:06PM
Yes it is, but I don't know what article you're referring to. Xarelto is given in 20, 15 and 10 mg dosages depending on the patient. There are multiple reasons why 20 mg might not be given and kidney function is a big one, but I don't really understand what you're asking because you haven't told us anything about yourself and why you're asking.
June 17, 2022 03:49AM
“Who was prescribed Xarelto post successful ablation and with NO AF episodes? I had 4 ablations, two in Bordeaux in 2006 and 2007 when I was asked to take blood thinner for one month. Only post-ablation. In my last, 4th ablation, very extensive, in 2020, I was prescribed Xarelto take continuously. I have no episodes of AF.”

This is what I wrote in my first post if you have not noticed.

I had 4 ablations. The first was aborted in the middle of the procedure due to complications it was in 2005. Next two ablations in Bordeaux, 2006, and 2007, I was prescribed a blood thinner to be taken for ONLY ONE MONTH after ablation. After my last and 4th ablation, in December 2020, I was prescribed Xarelto 20 mg to be taken continuously. I would prefer to be on a lower dose, especially since I do not have AF. I wonder if 20 mg is the standard minimal dose now for people who had few ablations and if there are people who do not take any blood thinner post-ablation or a smaller dose of 10 mg.

[www.jnj.com] that’s the link to the article.
June 17, 2022 08:08AM
aldona
I wonder if 20 mg is the standard minimal dose now for people who had few ablations and if there are people who do not take any blood thinner post-ablation or a smaller dose of 10 mg.
The full prescribing info is here.

Would it make sense to follow up with the prescribing doctor to understand their logic?

In this brief prescribing info document, the lower afib dose is 15 mg - for those with kidney issues. Your question is different, which is really are you still considered to have afib? Carey has said he takes 1/2 dose of Eliquis following his successful ablations, but would not be required to take it. His logic is that Eliquis is more effective than aspirin with less downside.
June 17, 2022 10:27AM
aldona
This is what I wrote in my first post if you have not noticed.

I noticed, but we still don't know what your CHADS score is, your age, and if you have other health issues such as kidney disease, diabetes, etc. CHADS in particular is the biggest question of all. That's what anticoagulant dosing is based on, not how many ablations you've had.
June 17, 2022 08:44PM
I have no AF. After my previous ablations the blood thinner was prescribed for one month only after successful ablation. I was quite surprised that Xarelto was prescribed to me to be taken continuously after my last ablation. I have no other health issues like diabetes or kidney, thyroid, liver or pancreatic health problems.
June 17, 2022 08:56PM
aldona
I have no AF. After my previous ablations the blood thinner was prescribed for one month only after successful ablation. I was quite surprised that Xarelto was prescribed to me to be taken continuously after my last ablation. I have no other health issues like diabetes or kidney, thyroid, liver or pancreatic health problems.

That's great, but like I said, your CHADS score is the determining factor. Can you please visit this site, fill out the questions, and tell us what your score is? Also, are you male or female? It matters.
June 19, 2022 05:45PM
aldona
Aldona -
If I read you correctly you basically would rather not be on any anticoagulant. I felt the same way following my successful ablation. And I was told by a very highly respected EP that I no longer have to take an anticoagulant and I'm 75 years old with a Chads score of 2. But I was advised to monitor my EKGs with my cardio mobile on a daily basis or even to just use a pulse oximeter.. I did search the literature somewhat and I see that there are differing opinions with some studies indicating that stroke risk for someone following a successful ablation is no different than someone without afib. I think it all comes down to what your risk tolerance is. Clearly a stroke could be devastating or fatal. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk of not taking an anticoagulant.
I took that risk for a year post ablation and I have done well. However recently I decided to go back on Eliquis. I had no reason other than I felt some anxiety about the possibility of a stroke and wanted to reduce the risk. The other thing is that for me Eliquis is very easy to take. It's a very small pill and I get no side effects. Yes it is a little bit of an expense (but insurance helps with it) there is the risk of bleeding and the inconvenience if you need a medical procedure but life is not perfect.
Good luck to you in making a decision that feels right for you but be well-informed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login