Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D and Magnesium interaction

Posted by Que 
Que
Vitamin D and Magnesium interaction
June 08, 2022 10:28PM
Hi All,

I'm told by Drugs.com there is a moderate drug interaction between Magnesium Glycinate and Vitamin D3. What does everyone else think about this?

All the best,
Ryan

Magnesium Glycinate interacts with Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Using cholecalciferol together with magnesium glycinate can lead to elevated magnesium blood levels, particularly in individuals with reduced kidney function. Symptoms of high magnesium levels may include nausea, vomiting, flushing, drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, reduced reflexes, low blood pressure, slow heart rate, and impaired breathing. You should seek medical attention if you experience these symptoms. If you are on dialysis and treated with cholecalciferol or other vitamin D medications, you should generally avoid taking products that contain magnesium without first talking to your doctor, as high levels of magnesium over time can lead to bone problems. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
Re: Vitamin D and Magnesium interaction
June 09, 2022 12:49AM
Que,

If you put "Vitamin D" into the search function in the General Health Forum above there is a wealth of knowledge. Scroll down and look for author "PC,MD".

PC is the best authority on Mg coupled with Vit D.

Dean
June 09, 2022 01:10PM
Que
Hi All,

I'm told by Drugs.com there is a moderate drug interaction between Magnesium Glycinate and Vitamin D3. What does everyone else think about this?

All the best,
Ryan

Using cholecalciferol together with magnesium glycinate can lead to elevated magnesium blood levels, particularly in individuals with reduced kidney function.

I think the reduced kidney function is the key. For many years, I've taken 3-5 grams of elemental magnesium per day. The forms have included magnesium chloride, glycinate, malate, citrate, acetate, bicarbonate, oxide and more. I've also taken up to 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 and as well spent a lot of time in the sun with minimal clothes on (running my 25OHD also known as serum vitamin D3 levels north of 100 ng/mL with my doctors encouragement), all without any of the acute symptoms listed. Serum magnesium levels are always normal. I intentionally run RBC magnesium levels higher than normal (~7.5 mg/dL, top end of normal is 6.8). I'm not suggesting others do what I do, everyone is different, I'm just reporting what I've done.
June 09, 2022 02:08PM
Que - As I've mentioned in past posts on the importance of optimizing vitamin D levels, before my levels were officially tested, I suffered from muscle pain and weakness... and when I began supplementing, that weakness diminished considerably... since the heart is a muscle, I have always felt optimizing the D was extremely important, yet none of the doctors I consulted for the muscle pain/weakness had a clue about testing for D levels... but the Integrative Medicine MD thought it was highly significant and the tests proved he was correct as did the effect of the supplement/remedy.

And.... an additional benefit was (is) that optimizing Vitamin D levels boosts immunity significantly. I went from typically experiencing at least one cold a season and often influenza as well... to zero... and that has continued to be the case for many years. Plus... my bone density scans were so good that the MD said we'd do it only occasionally in the future.

Then, as many of my other archived posts indicate, when I also developed the Afib onset (age 59) I learned I was very deficient in magnesium. My history of experimental supplementing with Mg is similar to GeorgeN's experience in that I was found (again) to be extremely low by the Functional Medicine MD who agreed to do the reliable Exatest which confirmed the deficit. By adding incremental dosages of a variety of forms of magnesium, I was able to increase the intracellular levels of magnesium and also stabilize my heart arrhythmia significantly. So much so, I nearly cancelled the ablation date with Dr. Natale...but then I had some AF events and decided to go for the ablation. Never regretted doing so.

The reduced kidney function is definitely an important alert. I had a kidney problem as a child that left me with
sub-par kidney function... and I've always been cautious and tested regularly. I've been fortunate that the daily magnesium has not increased my kidney dysfunction.... but it certainly is an important caveat for any afibber who does have that condition to be aware and watch closely with a knowledgeable physician who is willing to do the Exatest evaluation for intracellular magnesium. It's nearly 30 years since the my first AF onset and the daily supplements of magnesium, etc. - so I feel extremely fortunate that my kidneys are still functioning well.... and best yet, my heart remains calm as well.

Best to all,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login