Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Miralax and heart rhythm.. maybe TMI for some

Posted by bettylou4488 
Miralax and heart rhythm.. maybe TMI for some
June 05, 2022 11:39AM
Not sure if this goes in the other general health area but it does apply to afib. Had my ablation on Thursday. Last time I had no problems resuming my regular ..bathroom regime. This time not so much. I take benefiter Friday but that blew me up like a balloon and had weird rhythms. I was thinking of starting Miralax which I have taken in the past and works great but I recall an EP telling me at one time that this messes with electrolytes and so I don't want it to push me into a bad rhythm. I am already taking tons of Mg.. was thinking of taking some 'calm' but I already had 1000 mg of Mg today. (I usually take various kinds but I'm so tired I just grabbed the 500s which I think were oxide I have next to me.). I have an appt w. my GP tomorrow. If it weren't for the instructions of no baths for a week I'd take an epsom bath-- maybe I will do that with my feet.

So my main question here-- does Miralax mess with electrolytes? I am thinking of putting a packet in a very large glass of water and just sipping on it all day so it doesn't go in my system all at once. Open to any suggestions. I am not that uncomfortable because I haven't eaten much. (when I eat I have been having weird rhythms sometimes too.). But I do have to start eating a little more as well.

The ablation went well- they found two flutter areas and I think a touch up on the fib.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2022 11:40AM by bettylou4488.
Re: Miralax and heart rhythm.. maybe TMI for some
June 05, 2022 12:25PM
A single dose shouldn't do you any harm, but I doubt if sipping it all day will do much for you. Just take it per directions.
June 05, 2022 01:18PM
I take Miralax sometimes and have never noticed any effect on Afib. Perhaps your EP was concerned about Miralax causing diarrhea—which would mess with your electrolytes. Note: you don’t have to take the full dose of Miralax—there is no problem in taking a partial dose according to my gastroenterologist, if you want to be cautious.
June 05, 2022 01:36PM
thanks Carey and Daisy. Yea I read the packet and realized they don't want it in an all day bottle of water. It does give me a headache. I think I will go with half a dose all at once... I probably sipped a quarter of a dose. Last time I had zero issues. I wish I had written down what I ate! I"m up walking around and stuff but not my usual. And a ton of naps happening LOL!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login