Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prozac

Posted by Pixie 
Prozac
May 30, 2022 03:06PM
Today I started taking 10 mgs of Fluoxetine (generic Prozac). Before doing this, I spoke with one of Dr. Natale’s RNs. He said there would be no problem….a lot of folks with AFIB are on this drug. At the same time I am weaning off of lorazepam….that will take several months.

So, to the point. Today, I have had one Kardia reading that showed normal sinus rhythm, 2 that showed Possible Afib and several that were unclassified, which for me are usually PACs. I know I over did the readings, but I wanted to know what was happening.

If anyone has anything they could share with me about this topic it would be appreciated.
Re: Prozac
May 30, 2022 04:57PM
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking if people think the drugs could be at fault?
May 30, 2022 05:06PM
Carey
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking if people think the drugs could be at fault?

Yes, I am asking if the drugs could be at fault.
May 30, 2022 06:52PM
I've known a lot of people with afib who are/were taking antidepressant and antianxiety meds and I've never heard a single one say they thought those meds provoked afib. Anxiety definitely provokes afib, so it's hard to imagine how drugs that suppress anxiety could cause afib. Everyone's different, so I'm not saying that's gospel for everyone -- just saying I've never hard of it and I know of no science addressing that specific question.
May 30, 2022 08:19PM
Carey, that is positive news for me!! I am glad you responded! Thank you.
June 01, 2022 08:47PM
I don’t know why but I tried lorazepam after my earlier afib episodes and was successful in self converting with a flecainide, two low sodium V8, Tenormin and lorazepam. Even with one dose of lorazepam, the following day I got withdrawal jitters. My afib was getting better so I didn’t need my “cocktail concoction” but I switched to Valium when afib came back and I never got the jitters. They are both benzodiazepines. I felt for me lorazepam contributed to getting jitters which turned to afib from being nervous as a reaction of the drug. Everyone is different. I don’t believe lorazepam causes afib but I think being nervous can.
June 03, 2022 09:36PM
"so it's hard to imagine how drugs that suppress anxiety could cause afib."

Antidepressant Drugs can cause more anxiety in some people, but I agree, very unlikely a direct causation of AFIB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login