Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just about there

Posted by Geocappy 
Just about there
May 28, 2022 04:40PM
Hello

As discussed in a previous topic, I have hd persistent AF for at least 3-4 yrs. I have been accepted by Dr Natale for my ablation. Norma said it does not look like my heart has changed too badly. I read on here that my odds for success are not great because I have the most difficult type being lond term persisistent.

Also, I read about everyone’s bout with AF occurrences
And need to go to emergency. In all my 3-4 yrs I have not felt the need to go to hospital. Am I being naive? Would I know if I needed to go or am I being oblivious. I was put on 150mg x 2 of Flecainide and 75mg of Metoprol after a cardioversion two weeks later.

Lastly, how much notice will I be given prior to ablation date? Been approx a month since accepted and not heard anything on proposed dates yet
Re: Just about there
May 28, 2022 04:46PM
Selecting Natale is your best bet for solving long term persistent afib. He has a good track record with that. If you are continually in afib now, then your flec is not doing you any good and not needed. The Metoprol is hopefully keeping your afib heart rate under 100 or 110 max. If you aren't staying in normal rhythm after a cardioversion plus flecainide, going to the ER will not help you. Don't know about your dates, Others may comment, but you can always contact them to see what is going on.
May 28, 2022 05:07PM
Thanks. According to my Kardia mobile I have been i normal sinus rhythm since my Flec was upped to 150mg x2 and 75 Met x1 after cardioversion and lesser dose did not keep me in NSR.

My resting heart rate is between 68-73. Was notified a month ago I was accepted and am awaiting some possible dates.

I was just curious what an AF event feels like that warrants going to emergency. Was concerned I may be experiencing it but ignoring it somehow
May 28, 2022 06:14PM
Geocappy
Thanks. According to my Kardia mobile I have been i normal sinus rhythm since my Flec was upped to 150mg x2 and 75 Met x1 after cardioversion and lesser dose did not keep me in NSR.

My resting heart rate is between 68-73. Was notified a month ago I was accepted and am awaiting some possible dates.

I was just curious what an AF event feels like that warrants going to emergency. Was concerned I may be experiencing it but ignoring it somehow

If the flec is keeping you in rhythm, then you are not long standing persistent. This is good.

In my case I went to the ER 18 years ago for episode #1, because I didn't know what was going on. Have never been back. Some people are very symptomatic and it is very uncomfortable for them to be in afib. They can also pass out & etc. I can do whatever I want in afib and fortunately I can convert with flec or by doing something with the flec like exhaled breath holds, exercise with exhaled breath holds, cold water immersion in a tub, inversion on rings or a head stand on the ground & etc.
May 28, 2022 06:44PM
Geocappy

I have also been accepted for an ablation by Dr Natale (10 days ago). Norma told me that the next step was insurance approval and then scheduling, so if your insurance is fiddling around with the approval, that could hold up scheduling.

As far as going to the ER—before I was diagnosed I went because my HR and BP were extremely high and I was really symptomatic. Once I was given medication to control rate and BP, I have not needed to go.
May 28, 2022 06:50PM
Geocappy

An afib episode on its own rarely warrants a hospital visit. If it's accompanied by chest pain, difficulty breathing, syncope (fainting), signs of stroke, or a heart rate over 200, then you need to go, preferably by ambulance. That's about it. Afib never killed anyone directly. It only kills through stroke and, if left untreated long-term, heart failure. So there aren't any mystery symptoms you should be watching for and rushing off to the hospital.

The people you read about who went to the hospital mostly did so because they were new to afib and the experience (understandably) terrified them. There is no reason to go to a hospital for an uncomplicated afib episode. It will not kill you, especially not if you're already on anticoagulants.
May 28, 2022 07:38PM
Got a call two weeks ago about insurance approval so I guess everything is moving along.
May 29, 2022 12:44AM
What Carey explained about ER is exactly what I experienced by myself.
My first afib episode was making me weak. Didn't know what was happening. But I self reverted in the evening just a tenth minutes before seeing my GP.
I thought it was stress related (home alarm in the middle of the night). On my second episode a tenth days later, I went to the ER. Diagnosed in afib+flutter and got a CV after some exams.
Since then, I know it's better not running to the ER in such circumstances.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login