Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aspirin

Posted by JAYHAWK 
Aspirin
May 25, 2022 10:41AM
After my Natale ablation in March 2011 he prescribed a 356 mg aspirin daily. Several years later after reading several opinions (including here) about the efficacy of aspirin with atria fibrillation (stroke prevention) discussed with Natale and he changed to 81 mg aspirin. Recently read an opinion that seemed to indicate there might be a negative impact of aspirin as well as little or no benefit with arrhythmia issues.

Would appreciate opinions again.

Thanks

Steve
Spring, Tx
Re: Aspirin
May 25, 2022 01:53PM
Aspirin has a higher bleeding risk than the anticoagulants, especially GI bleeds, and it's less effective at preventing afib-related clots than the anticoagulants. So it's not ineffective; it's just not as effective. But keep in mind that in 2011 the only choices would have been warfarin, aspirin, and Pradaxa. I'm a bit surprised he didn't go with Pradaxa, but the data on NOACs wasn't as clear as it is today. Perhaps you had a low CHADS score and he felt aspirin would suffice.
May 26, 2022 01:34PM
I had an aortic stent put in about 3 years ago and had to be on blood thinner (xeralto at the time now on eliquis)... and aspirin. I was bleeding everywhere and so they took me off the blood thinner and they said the aspirin works different. Makes the platelets slippery. basically required after a stent. (At least the kind I had which is not your regular stent). Anyway I guess I am just commenting so maybe you can ask your own cardiologist how they work differently. After 6 months I dropped the aspirin and went back to the blood thinner because they felt the thinner was a better choice for me. When they thought I had a clot ( didn't end up having one) I switched from xeralto to eliquis. Even though it is twice a day I prefer it because you don't have to worry about taking it with a meal. I never eat dinner at the same time every day and sometimes skip and was annoyed with having to do that with xeralto. (just another thing to think about.). I also have a cardiology pharmacist at our hospital that I bug with all these questions. She's been a huge resource for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2022 03:10PM by bettylou4488.
May 27, 2022 10:31AM
Thanks Carey

I was on warfarin immediately after the procedure but Natale stopped it after four weeks and prescribed the aspirin. Basically issue-free since the ablation so leaning toward stopping the 81 mg aspirin. I have been treated for hypertension since I was 25....now 75. It is an inherited "family curse"!!!! Recently discussed anti-coagulants with my local cardiologist on a routine visit (with echocardigram) and he said it was not necessary.

I am constantly getting "dinged" at the gym or other activities so not bleeding as easily will be more convenient.

Steve
Ken
May 27, 2022 11:09AM
There seems to be mixed messages for the use of aspirin for us older folks, regardless of afib. I do take an 81 mg as my GP Dr. recommends it. I have never had stomach or bleeding issues, but I do bruise easily. I am 77 with low BP and low cholesterol. Aspirin needed? Probably not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login