Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Here

Posted by Not_in_Kansas 
New Here
May 25, 2022 09:25AM
Hello!

I joined the Afib club a few months ago. It was quite a shock, and I am very glad to have found this group so dedicated to managing Afib well. The excellent information has already been so helpful, and the success stories equally so because they are so heartening and hopeful.

As I get my bearings in the woods of Afib, I need to make a decision about whether or not to stay on diltiazem or not, and how to approach a low tyramine diet.

I was wondering if anyone has information about memory issues and diltiazem, and also if taking it long term will result in a tolerance to it.

In terms of tyramine, wow it is like walking through Wonderland. Every list of high and low tyramine foods is different, it is unclear to me how to find the source data, and then there is the issue of whether it is a good idea or not to even be on a low tyramine diet. Does anyone have a source regarding tyramine that they find helpful, or experience that someone new to the tyramine thicket might benefit from? I was taking tumeric daily at therapeutic doses for years and have now learned it is an MAOi.

Thanks so much!
Re: New Here
May 25, 2022 02:25PM
Hi not in K...how freq. are your afib ep. or are you in afib all the time?

As far as Tyramine avoid anything fermented esp. cheese + pros. meats....Soy products + Booze.

People that have Migraines need to stay away also.
May 25, 2022 06:45PM
Thanks vanlith--

I have been averaging about one attack a month. The inaugural attack lasted several hours until I was converted with IV Cardizem. The next three were about an hour each.

I was sent home on diltiazem, which has done well for me with one major exception -- I think is giving me memory issues. And what is worse than that? It is a difficult decision because I would feel unprotected without it. I think its mild antiarrhythmic properties are taking the edge off things. That being said, if I had to up the dose it would be a problem, and

My Afib is in its salad days, and I would like to keep it from getting entrenched.

Thus the obsession with tyramine. I went ultra low tyramine and it seemed to keep the Afib at bay. When I loosened up and went medium tyramine (nothing crazy like pepperoni or gin, just sweet potatoes etc.), it set the stage for the next three attacks. But there are real problems with going on an overly restricted diet.

When B.F. Skinner trained his pigeons with rewards they would often show superstitious behavior, repeating whatever they were doing when they got a reward. So maybe they would raise their right wing or look in a certain direction and bob their head, none of which had anything to do with the reward. I do think that people in the first stages of Afib are a bit like Skinner pigeons...
May 25, 2022 07:37PM
Yes you are early in but that's sound very fam.....you are open to many natural things that might help you greatly....check out my post in the thread beside yours on Pac's + Magnesium....that is easily your #1 starting point to try natural supl.

All the best
May 25, 2022 08:23PM
Thanks so much!

Your magnesium recommendation sounds fabulous. If those pigeons had had a forum like this one they would have done much better!

Much appreciation --
May 25, 2022 08:47PM
Not_in_Kansas
When B.F. Skinner trained his pigeons with rewards they would often show superstitious behavior, repeating whatever they were doing when they got a reward. So maybe they would raise their right wing or look in a certain direction and bob their head, none of which had anything to do with the reward. I do think that people in the first stages of Afib are a bit like Skinner pigeons...

Exactly! Love the analogy.
May 26, 2022 09:50AM
And thank you Carey for helping to oversee such a fine resource
May 26, 2022 02:58PM
Carey

Exactly! Love the analogy.

It peaked my interest. Quite fascinating:
[m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]
May 27, 2022 08:10AM
How fun that you found the actual pigeons and their pigeon-style learning community!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login