Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Iodine and arrhythmias?

Posted by bettylou4488 
Iodine and arrhythmias?
May 21, 2022 01:06PM
I searched the archives and did read thru this one which was very informative.

[www.afibbers.org]

I just got some labs back and my iodine (urine) was 7. The reference range is 34 to 525.

My thyroid numbers were fine:
T4Free=1.5
TSH =2.47
TH3 = 4.0

I added some kelp seasoning to my breakfast! The doc emailed me the results this weekend and may go get a supplement from him next week (and/or add some salt but I need to be a little careful there).

But I am 3 months out from ablation. Afib/flutter/ coming and going recently. I am sure the iodine has been low for awhile but I wonder if it is contributing to it all along. I don't have any old tests to reference.

Just thought I'd put out a fresh message asking for any info on iodine and afib. I have lugols drops here too...
Re: Iodine and arrhythmias?
May 21, 2022 06:36PM
Over the years, some here have said iodine was a big help, other said it caused issues (likely because of hyperthyroid, in my opinion).

Dr. Brownstein is an integrative doc in Michigan. I respect his work. Our member Liz uses him. His book has a lot in it.

Per Brownstein, a 24 hour urine test is the appropriate test. All supplements are stopped for 3 days. A 50 mg iodine supplement is taken and then urine collected for 24 hours. Fluorine and Bromine can also be tested.

My understanding.

Fluorine/fluoride & bromine/bromide are halide ions that compete with iodine in the body. With sufficient iodine, the body can be purged of these. Excess bromine (which is ubiquitous as a fire retardant in clothes, carpet & furniture can be toxic). Hence a sea salt detox is suggested prior to and while taking the iodine, but to separate the salt water from the iodine by at least 45 minutes.

Per Brownstein the iodine must include iodine and iodide in a specific ratio. 40% iodine, 60% iodide.

Other cofactors include
selenium - test RBC and want at the high end.
various B vitamins including B1, B2, B3

Test is a 24 urine loading test. Lay off iodine for at least 3 days, then take 50 mg and collect urine for 24 hours. Can also test the same urine for fluoride and bromine.

Since I've had afib for 18 years, I've stepped in gently. I do take 25 mg iodine/day and have for several months. Have had a lot going on in my life so haven't done the testing yet. My morning temp has increased from the upper 96's to ~97.3 F. Evening from 97.8 ish to 98.3. So I think my thyroid is reacting to this. After starting iodine, it is normal for TSH to increase for some months, then drop. Jimmy Bertram (see FB reference below) has a post on this.

Here are some resources.

Dr. Brownstein's book: [drbrownstein.directfrompublisher.com]

Iodine supplements as recommended by Dr. Brownstein. [www.optimox.com]
Iodine loading 24 hour urine test. [www.hakalalabs.com]

Bromine detox

[truemedmd.com]

[jeffreydachmd.com]

FB group on iodine. Read the posts by Jimmy Bertram in the announcements section.

[www.facebook.com]

I would suggest reading the book as well as the announcements in the FB group. Getting a doc who knows about iodine to guide you would be appropriate.
May 21, 2022 09:11PM
Thanks so much. I used to see Dr. Ng in the same office. (I live about 5 miles from the office). A friend does see Brownstein and has his book- going to grab it from her tomorrow. My test was a just a one time urine test. Still the fact that it was soooo low could be telling. Thanks for all the links. I used functional doctors in the area but I tend to scare them away with the heart history I have. I have heard it is easier to get into the PAs at their office.. but I'll start with all those links. Thanks George
May 21, 2022 09:39PM
From the book, "The iodine-loading test is performed after taking 50mg of an iodine/iodide combination. Urine is collected for 24 hours after taking the iodine. In an iodine-sufficient state, approximately 90% of a mixture of a 50mg dose of iodine/iodide would be excreted (i.e., 45mg), and 10% of the iodine would be retained (i.e., 5mg). Levels below 90% excretion would indicate an iodine-deficient state."

He also says that something like 96% of the people he's tested are low.

Jimmy Bertram's (in the FB group) writings on it are also very good. The issue of iodine "releasing" stored bromine, causing a toxin reaction seems common. So controlling for this is important, as are the selenium and B vitamin co-factors. On selenium, I recall the test was an RBC selenium blood test and you want to be at the high end of the range. I've not done this test yet as my hair mineral analysis shows high selenium. I will do this test. I've also done the salt loading long before I knew of the bromine/bromide issue.
May 22, 2022 10:03AM
Thanks. I have been looking at the group. they have restructured the group and so the announcements are gone but searching for his name. I will ask on the group where those might be once my membership is approved. It sounds like I have a lot to learn. Even on the how to take salt he just posted a video how you have to dissolve in water.. not water and broth not water and lemon.. not in a tablet...which I get. Chemistry is chemistry.... My integrative cardiologist said to just take a supplement (or salt). I guess that could be a start. I gotta tell you I am a bit exhausted from researching my health and my son's (dx with autism 20 years ago). I kinda wanna take amioderone just for a break for a couple months. (I did well after the ablation with a few blips here and there but recently went haywire at the 3 month mark). Obviously doing this not with amioderone would be better. This afib is worse than the constant afib I had before the ablation .. and it really toggles higher for heart rate. But I digress. Thanks for all the info. Pouring thru it.... in the mean time I am going to put more kelp etc.. on my food until I figure out what exactly to do.
May 22, 2022 01:44PM
Announcements are sometimes called "Featured." Here is a link: [www.facebook.com]
May 22, 2022 01:51PM
GeorgeN
Announcements are sometimes called "Featured." Here is a link: [www.facebook.com]

Many thanks!
May 24, 2022 08:17PM
bettylou4488
I searched the archives and did read thru this one which was very informative.

[www.afibbers.org]

I just got some labs back and my iodine (urine) was 7. The reference range is 34 to 525.

My thyroid numbers were fine:
T4Free=1.5
TSH =2.47
TH3 = 4.0

I added some kelp seasoning to my breakfast! The doc emailed me the results this weekend and may go get a supplement from him next week (and/or add some salt but I need to be a little careful there).

HI Betty, is TH3 FT3 correct? I personally had my two episodes when I stooped Thyroid supplementation but also DHEA.

But I am 3 months out from ablation. Afib/flutter/ coming and going recently. I am sure the iodine has been low for awhile but I wonder if it is contributing to it all along. I don't have any old tests to reference.

Just thought I'd put out a fresh message asking for any info on iodine and afib. I have lugols drops here too...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login