Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

L-Carnitine ok?

Posted by anneh 
L-Carnitine ok?
May 17, 2022 07:52PM
I am 83y slim/active but in spite of excellent diet and health my cardiologist found I have 50-70% blockage in right carotid artery sad smiley I am so upset because now I have to fear heart attack/stroke from this as well as AF sad smiley Was vegetarian for 30yrs but of course was eating dairy/eggs which can clog and then went plant based couple years ago but was including nuts/seeds/oils. According to Dr Caldwell Esselstyn of Cleveland Clinic I should eliminate those and follow his strict diet. I have been doing so but last lab report my chol163/HDL 55/LDL 90/Triglycerides 71 but cardiologist said LDL must be under 70 and insists I take a statin sad smiley After researching of course I found that statins prevent CoQ10 and can cause alot of side effects (I realize not everyone has them). Dr Stephen Sinatra recommends taking CoQ10 (which of course I already do)Taurine (I take that too) and L-Carnitine which I have not taken. I am wondering if its ok with AF? I am on Eliquis and also take metoprolol when I go into AF. Thnx for any advice re Carnitine and hopefully some encouragement re the blockage, never would have thought it would happen sad smiley
Re: L-Carnitine ok?
May 17, 2022 08:05PM
what kind of scan was done to determine the blockage? Was this the first time this was noticed. The reason I ask, is that the blockage could have been there for years. If that is true and it is not growing, then you don't have as much or an issue. Calcified plaque typically is not the issue with say a heart attack. It is the non-calcified plaque that can cause problems. If it was a CAC scan, then it won't "see" the non calcified plaque.
May 17, 2022 09:27PM
thnx for responding smiling smiley Apparently it was just a regular doppler ultrasound not the one that measures calcium. Altho its a long time ago, I had one done in 1999 which was clear.
2017 results which I don't remember cardiologist discussing with me were right mild to moderate atherosclerotic plaque in distal ICA with elevated velocities consistent with 50-65% stenosis The vertebral artery is antegrade. Subclavian artery normal. ICA/CCA ratio elevated. On left SAME results as right.
This one done last year says on right, mild to moderate atherosclerotic plaque noted in distal ICA with elevated velocities consistent with 50-69% stenosis The vertebral artery is antegrade. Subclavian artery normal. ICA/CCA ratio elevated.
On left NO significant atherosclerotic plaque noted and everything normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2022 09:40PM by anneh.
May 18, 2022 04:31PM
anneh
2017 results which I don't remember cardiologist discussing with me were right mild to moderate atherosclerotic plaque in distal ICA with elevated velocities consistent with 50-65% stenosis The vertebral artery is antegrade. Subclavian artery normal. ICA/CCA ratio elevated. On left SAME results as right.
This one done last year says on right, mild to moderate atherosclerotic plaque noted in distal ICA with elevated velocities consistent with 50-69% stenosis The vertebral artery is antegrade. Subclavian artery normal. ICA/CCA ratio elevated.
On left NO significant atherosclerotic plaque noted and everything normal.

I am no expert, but I've seen discussed about inaccuracies on doppler ultrasound. Your reports on the left side would align with this. I would not expect significant stenosis and then five years later, clear. Also, it would not seem that your right side is getting worse. That is a positive.

My understanding is that the person doing the ultrasound, they should be very well trained and only do these tests. Also it should always be the same machine and technician when comparing.

As I said, I'm not an expert, just what I've read. In your shoes, I'd question further.
May 18, 2022 09:02PM
thnx for input, so is L Carnitine generally safe with AF?
May 18, 2022 10:06PM
anneh
thnx for input, so is L Carnitine generally safe with AF?

Probably, a search shows there are studies indicating it is helpful in some instances, but there are also some studies on the other side in specifici situations. Likely may depend on your specific situation.
May 31, 2022 07:00PM
If you go to the web site - A-Fib.com - Steve Ryan is a well known author and collects a lot of data and resources on this condition. He has a section on supplements to support the heart that may answer your questions. He has also experienced AFIB as a patient.
June 25, 2022 07:43PM
thnx will check it out smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login