Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Philly Politician Suffers AFib driven Stroke

Posted by BobsBeat 
Philly Politician Suffers AFib driven Stroke
May 16, 2022 01:44PM
I'm not sure if Fetterman, 52, knew he had AFib (prior to the event) or not and whether he was anticoagulated or not...FYI in any event!

"I had a stroke that was caused by a clot from my heart being in an A-fib rhythm for too long," he said. "The amazing doctors here were able to quickly and completely remove the clot, reversing the stroke, they got my heart under control as well. It's a good reminder to listen to your body and be aware of the signs."

[www.nbcphiladelphia.com]
Re: Philly Politician Suffers AFib driven Stroke
May 20, 2022 03:06PM
Thanks for the link BobsBeat,

I too have been following a bit of John Fetterman's arrhythmia issue. The key question that still remains for me is whether this was a VT related issue, perhaps in addition to his apparent history of AFIB? A number of news reports from the last couple of days have noted that he had a 'defibrillator' installed.

If Fetterman did get a defibrillator installed, then odds are high that he also, or perhaps exclusively, has had a Ventricular Tachycardia issue driving or at least contributing to his arrhythmia as well, perhaps in addition to AFIB.

You normally will not see a person with an 'implantable cardiac defibrillator' (ICD) installed within their chest or torso, just for AFIB or any other form of atrial arrhythmia for that matter, due to the urgent seriousness of said Ventricular Tachy or Ventricular Fibrillation.

And many of us Afibbers have learned first-hand, that we can need a periodic defibrillation done to (aka cardioversion), for example at a local ER when an AFIB, Flutter or SVT episode is pumping a high speed atrial arrhythmia. But those are done typically in an ER or hospital setting, usually in less urgent circumstances compared to a ventricular arrhythmia where time can be critical to getting defibrillated ASAP, especially when a person is in full blown Ventricular Fibrillation during which the patient may have 8 seconds or less before losing consciousness, and unless the unconscious VF patient is successfully cardioverted back into a sustainable arrhythmia very quickly, the person will typically expire.

On the other hand, it is also entirely possible the news sources mistakenly labeled a 'dual-chambered pacemaker' as an ICD by mistake since most ICDs are basically a dual chambered pacer with the added defibrillator hardware installed in order to automatically shock your heart back into rhythm should the person be prone to having bout's of VT or VF occur suddenly.

Being a public political figure we will all likely find out before long if 52 year-old John Fetterman has AFIB alone or some combo of arrhythmias? Wishing him the best in any event.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2022 03:09PM by Shannon.
May 20, 2022 10:39PM
Why would people vote for a person that has the problems this man has, I feel bad for him but he may not have the energy that is required for the job.
May 28, 2022 07:17AM
Elizabeth
Why would people vote for a person that has the problems this man has, I feel bad for him but he may not have the energy that is required for the job.

He needs a better doctor that will ensure he's a healthy 236 lbs.

[i.insider.com]
June 04, 2022 07:50PM
There's a recent update...

[apnews.com]

Reads like he knew about his AFib condition and apparently Cardiomyopathy since 2017. He chose to stop taking his anticoagulant and not follow Doctor's advice given his heart condition with the exception of eating better and losing weight.
June 05, 2022 12:32AM
BobsBeat
Reads like he knew about his AFib condition and apparently Cardiomyopathy since 2017. He chose to stop taking his anticoagulant and not follow Doctor's advice given his heart condition with the exception of eating better and losing weight.

Well, there's one good reason not to vote for him: He's apparently not very smart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login