Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stopping sotalol after third ablation

Posted by Pixie 
Stopping sotalol after third ablation
May 13, 2022 11:29AM
I had my ablation on 2/23. I started 80 mgs of sotalol twice a day on March 4. I was doing well with a heart rate usually in the 60’s. On May 3 I started weaning off the drug by taking 40mgs twice a day. I stopped the sotalol on 5/10. I did fairly well that week. But then, once off of it, my heart rate started to climb to the 70’s and 80’s. My sinus rhythm was normal. This morning my rate was 103. The Kardia classified it as tachycardia…..I am pushing AFlutter out of my mind!! Heart rate is back to the 80’s.

I know I am still in the blanking period, my heart is still healing, etc!! I was not told about this rebounding effect of getting off this med. I know it stays in the system 4 days after it is stopped. My fourth day is today. I am taking this day by day and not thinking any further than that! I did talk to one of Dr. Natale’s nurses this morning and he said this is the course for some people.

I am wondering if anyone had this experience with this rebounding when going off sotalol.

What I am really thinking is, “Here we go again”. I have to remember, though, this time I am being treated by a top doctor.

Sherry
Re: Stopping sotalol after third ablation
May 13, 2022 02:51PM
I read here one’s hr usually maybe temporarily faster during blanking. I speculate the sotalol (acts like a beta blocker) was controlling your high hr.

If dr Natale’s NP suggest putting you on a beta blocker?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 02:52PM by susan.d.
May 13, 2022 03:28PM
That all sounds perfectly normal. Like Susan said, the sotalol was lowering your heart rate artificially. Following an ablation it's normal for it to be elevated for months afterwards. So now that the sotalol is gone, that's what it's doing. You're fine.
May 13, 2022 03:52PM
Carey, thank you for your response.

Susan, thank you, too. No beta blocker was mentioned.
May 16, 2022 07:52PM
'Blanking' is afibber term for the f word?

e.g. I wouldn't wish blanking AFIB on my blanking mother-in-law and she's a blanking horrible person.

If it's not a slang term then I am drawing a blank.
May 16, 2022 07:57PM
Blanking period is the term after your ablation when your heart is healing. During the blanking period one may or may not have developed the scar tissue needed to cage off the afib signal so it’s normal for some to get episodes during this period.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login