Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second ablation and watchmen at the same time?

Posted by Que 
Que
Second ablation and watchmen at the same time?
May 13, 2022 12:31AM
I recently spoke with my EP at Sutter Health in San Francisco, Dr Hao, and he indicated that he does not perform a second ablation and the watchmen at the same time. He indicated that when a Watchman device or other similar types of devices are inserted into a patient it limits the amount of future ablation work that I can occur at that spot. Is that correct? I think I've heard some other opinions on the topic before.

Thank you
Re: Second ablation and watchmen at the same time?
May 20, 2022 10:27PM
I had a third ablation and Watchman (Dr. Natale) at the same unconscious procedure. When I told my local cardiologist he was going to do the two together he said Medicare would not pay for both done together with his practice's EPs; there had to be a healing period after the ablation. It may be a patient volume issue as TCA is a research facility.
May 21, 2022 01:19PM
JayBros
I had a third ablation and Watchman (Dr. Natale) at the same unconscious procedure. When I told my local cardiologist he was going to do the two together he said Medicare would not pay for both done together with his practice's EPs; there had to be a healing period after the ablation. It may be a patient volume issue as TCA is a research facility.
Had you already had your LAA isolated before this third ablation and Watchman? In other words, did Dr. Natale know for sure that you would need a Watchman before this third ablation and get Medicare approval, or did he get Medicare approval for the Watchman just “in case” he found that he needed to isolate the LAA? I am interested as I will be getting an ablation with Dr. Natale in the coming months.
May 21, 2022 04:44PM
I can't imagine any reason why Medicare would impose such a rule. All that would do is increase risk and significantly increase cost. I suspect the cardiologist didn't tell the whole story or glossed over something more complicated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login