Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

do you/did you have insulin resistance?

Posted by Marco 
do you/did you have insulin resistance?
May 11, 2022 11:59PM
I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a connection of being insulin resistance to Aifib, has anyone ever tested their fasting insulin? I have seen some people in the forum going on a Paleo diet or similar, and resolving or improving their Aifib, I'm wondering what was their fasting insulin before and after.

there are some studies which strongly associate insulin resistance to aifib, I'm attaching the material at the bottom of the page.

I also see that for some people, GERD could be a trigger for aifib. A study shows that visceral fat, that one we develop when we are insulin resistant, may cause GERD through the increase of inflammatory cytokine. All studies at the bottom of the page.

All of this thinking because, both times I went into aifib, I had stopped around the same time DHEA and Thyroid supplementation, which results in suboptimal levels of the two hormones for me. These two hormones when in optimal ranges, increase insulin sensitivity and decrease visceral fat, perhaps why some studies shows people with the higher DHEA level, have the lower incidence of aifib .

One thing I noticed in both cases when I stopped the thyroid, is that my stomach feel fuller, like something is always stuck in there. I had previously thought that this feeling, may have just been the food taking longer to pass my gut, since the lowered metabolism with no Thyroid med, but I'm realizing this could just be more visceral fat actually. Due to my genetically low SHBG, I already have a tendency for insulin resistance, even though I'm not diabetic and if you see me, I'm athletic and lean, beside for my stomach that may look a bit full

[cardiab.biomedcentral.com]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2022 12:04AM by Gianluca.
Re: do you/did you have insulin resistance?
May 12, 2022 12:37AM
I believe afib can be related to blood sugar levels, amont so many other things. Hence the common HR issues after meal some paroxysmal afibbers report here.
I'm in that league, despite having perfectly normal blood tests in any case. I think I'm reacting that way to variations in blood sugar levels, even if the numbers remain in the normal range.
Moderate exercise and good hydration after meal help a lot. Conversely, resting after meal, which is natural behaviour, often brings ectopics and afib.
May 12, 2022 11:45AM
It was one of the avenues I approached. I was fit when I got afib. However, I used to wake up hot and sweaty at 3AM. This was also a common time for me to go into afib. I don't have before and afters, however. I got my first afib in 2004 and had a 2 1/2 month episode in the first 4 months. My remission program includes electrolytes, limiting long duration activity to Zone 2 and flecainide on demand to convert when I do go into afib. This has been successful as after the 2.5 month episode, most years my afib burden is around 0.02%, though 2012 was higher as was 2021 (around 0.45%).

I first started playing with a glucometer in 2006. An at home oral glucose tolerance test had a max at 180 mg/dL, so per Dr. Joseph Kraft's data, not stellar. I think at 2 hours I was maybe 60 mg/dL, so an overshoot of the insulin. I've been working on improving since. In 2007, my A1c was 5.2%. I keto adapted in 2009. My last fasting insulin was in Dec 2019 at 2 uIU/mL, which has been common for me since I started testing it in 2015. In January 2022, I wore a continuous glucose monitor for 14 days. I averaged 89 mg/dL, which correlates with an A1c of 4.7% (I've targeted < 5.0%). After paying attention, I haven't woken up hot and sweaty since at least 2009.

Paying attention to metabolic function is something I'm laser focussed on, but I simultaneously have done many other things. What I mentioned as my basic afib remission program is something that worked initially and has continued to work. Hence I can't point to any one action for success I've had keeping afib at bay. In 2012, also a bad year, I learned that calcium in my diet over 400-500 mg/day was contraindicated. I don't know if my relatively bad year in 2021 was due to vaccinations, a diet change which included more calcium, electrolyte changes or something else.
May 14, 2022 08:10PM
In this very recent podcast, UK doc, Rupy Aujla describes how he got afib at 24, as an MD. He was getting episodes 3 times/week for ~12 to 20 hours. He was prescribed flecainide on-demand. However, it was his mother's influence towards a better lifestyle (& not insulin resistance per se) that was associated with him putting it in complete remission. Now for quite a few years.

I can relate as what I've done is try to optimize my overall health as much as possible, not just specifically targeting afib (though part of my program does this as well).
May 15, 2022 07:26PM
GeorgeN
It was one of the avenues I approached. I was fit when I got afib. However, I used to wake up hot and sweaty at 3AM. This was also a common time for me to go into afib. I don't have before and afters, however. I got my first afib in 2004 and had a 2 1/2 month episode in the first 4 months. My remission program includes electrolytes, limiting long duration activity to Zone 2 and flecainide on demand to convert when I do go into afib. This has been successful as after the 2.5 month episode, most years my afib burden is around 0.02%, though 2012 was higher as was 2021 (around 0.45%).

I first started playing with a glucometer in 2006. An at home oral glucose tolerance test had a max at 180 mg/dL, so per Dr. Joseph Kraft's data, not stellar. I think at 2 hours I was maybe 60 mg/dL, so an overshoot of the insulin. I've been working on improving since. In 2007, my A1c was 5.2%. I keto adapted in 2009. My last fasting insulin was in Dec 2019 at 2 uIU/mL, which has been common for me since I started testing it in 2015. In January 2022, I wore a continuous glucose monitor for 14 days. I averaged 89 mg/dL, which correlates with an A1c of 4.7% (I've targeted < 5.0%). After paying attention, I haven't woken up hot and sweaty since at least 2009.

Paying attention to metabolic function is something I'm laser focussed on, but I simultaneously have done many other things. What I mentioned as my basic afib remission program is something that worked initially and has continued to work. Hence I can't point to any one action for success I've had keeping afib at bay. In 2012, also a bad year, I learned that calcium in my diet over 400-500 mg/day was contraindicated. I don't know if my relatively bad year in 2021 was due to vaccinations, a diet change which included more calcium, electrolyte
changes or something else.

interesting, thank you for your response. I understand that many people mention how low blood sugar can be the trigger, like in your case waking up at 3am hot and sweaty and possibly getting triggered at that time. Which makes me think adrenaline is possibly mostly involved in Aifib, and if adrenaline needs to be secreted to try to maintain blood sugar most of the times, then we have an adrenal issue with likely a sub optimal Thyroid function, possibly worsen by a diet with too many carbohydrates and not enough fat and protein.

Insulin resistance may come after several months of blood sugar dysregulation, and it can be exacerbated by a poor or sub-optimal thyroid function.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login