Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dr Gupta/York Cardiology re AF/Dementia

Posted by anneh 
Dr Gupta/York Cardiology re AF/Dementia
January 18, 2022 10:04PM
ok so now thoroughly depressed and scared after watching him on YT discuss the probability that AF is likely to cause dementia sad smiley Especially as I am 83 and watched my husband suffer with severe dementia, don't want to go thru that or for my children to have to see it happen again to a parent sad smiley My AF is not too bad, started 11 yrs ago due to stupid dr overdosing thyroid meds. Had 3 episodes last year (one year I did have several within a couple months and thats why started Eliquis) and they usually last maybe 6-9hrs or so. I am on Eliquis am slim/plant based/exercise daily. I take metoprolol when I go into an episode. Daily I take Hawthorn/CoQ10/Taurine/Mag Glycinate
Re: Dr Gupta/York Cardiology re AF/Dementia
January 18, 2022 10:35PM
Hi;

I have had AF for about 22 years, i had a few episodes a year then it went into every few months and then a couple times a month until about a year and a half ago i went into permanent AF. Since i have been in permanent AF i take a blood thinner, i didnt take one during the times when i got AF ocassionaly, i guess i was very lucky with not taking a blood thinner during my AF career. I too got AF because of too much thyroid meds. i want to say that i am still sane of mind after all this time (don't laugh Carey) and I am a few years older than you. I wanted to try Hawthorne Berry, but i have read that if you are on a blood thinner you shouldn't take Hawthorne Berry as it can increase bleeding. My Holistic doc. recommends it, he said he was doing some heavy exercises and went into AF, he took Hawthorne berry and he converted but i think that was a one time event and he is not on any blood thinner. Are you taking Hawthorne Berry for your heart, and have you had any problems with it?

Liz
January 19, 2022 10:00AM
thnx for response smiling smiley Glad to hear you are still sane winking smiley Re Hawthorn, I studied herbalism and feel somewhat knowledgeable re hawthorn. It is well respected as a great herb for the heart as it can strengthen the heart and increase blood flow to the heart. I use both forms of hawthorn (leaf/berry) and make my own tinctures. It certainly helps with heart failure for instance. I know that a couple of people here reported it didn't work for them apparently. After much research it doesn't appear to be much of a blood thinner, any more than lots of other natural substances but if someone is on coumadin etc then maybe keep an eye on INR when taking it. I am on Eliquis.
January 19, 2022 02:34PM
Here is the video link I presume you are talking about: [www.youtube.com]

In addition to afib, I have a genetic risk for Alzheimer's disease. Additionally, my mother had dementia and I not only share 50% of her nuclear DNA, but 100% of her mitochondrial DNA due to maternal inheritance.

My afib and AlzD strategy includes (but is not limited to, by any means):

- minimizing time in afib by optimizing exercise, optimizing electrolytes and using flecainide as needed
- keeping blood pressure low. As chronically high levels of insulin can drive blood pressure, I strive for a fasting insulin level < 2mIU/L, do isometric training (shown to reduce blood pressure) and target keeping blood pressure < 110/70
- minimizing glucose elevations in response to eating. Strategies. Time restricted eating with a minimum of a 17 hour daily fast, sometimes extended to 24 hours and less frequently to a multi-day fast (up to 7 days). Being keto adapted since 2009 while eating up to 200g/day carbs. Eating a whole foods pescatarian diet. Targeting 200 minutes or more a week of Zone 2 exercise. A GP friend in her 50's had a severe TBI, she had to quit practicing medicine. Using data learned from soldiers with TBI's, she exercised her way back to good cognitive function, starting two years after the event. If I experience a material glucose elevation after a meal, I do at least 15 minutes of Zone 2 which usually reduces my glucose to 80 mg/dL (4.4 mmol/L) or less, with a similar fasting glucose.
- optimizing sleep and stress, including taping my mouth at night to insure I breathe through my nose.
- minimizing inflammation. I've had autoimmunity issue since birth, I consult with a doc who has tested for my AlzD risk gene since the early 2000's and has a good track record of keeping folks with these genes healthy through diet and lifestyle. We test a variety of inflammatory markers. My pescarian diet is low lectin and avoids grains, legumes, nightshades and seeded veggies while eating a lot of whole food veggies. My autoimmunity is the lowest it has every been.
- I include learning, balance, vestibular stimulation and failure in my exercise, daily. I selected these as a gift as the data suggest that vestibular stimulation is an important part of brain fitness. Also failure will enable neuroplasticity. See the why below.
- targeted strength training to avoid sarcopenia
- maintain healthy body mass. At 66, I weigh what I did in Grade 10, but am leaner than I was then.
- I take a plasmalogen precursor supplement (and test for serum levels). This cognition reversal paper was presented at the Alz Assn meeting in July 2021 in Denver. A book on the topic is here: [www.amazon.com]

Basically, a 95 year old in the 95th%ile of plasmalogen levels has the same probability of dying in the next 5 years as a 65 year old in the 5th%ile. Graph:

I look at the glucose and blood pressure as two parts of CHA₂DS₂-VASc that can be controlled.

Lastly, I incorporate strategies from Dr. Dale Bredesen and his work as described here.

In my mother, I observed what dementia/AlzD can mean first hand. However, with my strategies, I'm optimistic that I will have a long health span.

Why you should include failure, balance & vestibular stimulation in your exercise (& life). From around 53:47 of this STEMTALK podcast with Tommy Wood MD PhD. [www.ihmc.us] And this Andrew Huberman (neuroscience prof @ Stanford) podcast (whole thing). Why failure enables neuroplasticity. [hubermanlab.com]
Joe
January 19, 2022 05:23PM
anneh
thnx for response smiling smiley Glad to hear you are still sane winking smiley Re Hawthorn, I studied herbalism and feel somewhat knowledgeable re hawthorn. It is well respected as a great herb for the heart as it can strengthen the heart and increase blood flow to the heart. I use both forms of hawthorn (leaf/berry) and make my own tinctures. It certainly helps with heart failure for instance. I know that a couple of people here reported it didn't work for them apparently. After much research it doesn't appear to be much of a blood thinner, any more than lots of other natural substances but if someone is on coumadin etc then maybe keep an eye on INR when taking it. I am on Eliquis.

As an N1, i drank Hawthorn berries and leaf tea for at least 1/2 year while on Eliqis and did not experience any adverse effects. Took Hawthorn berries tincture for about 3 weeks prior to switching to tea.
January 19, 2022 06:23PM
Thanks for all that GeorgeN. I really need to digest that. I would actually pay for a consult because I am in constant / permanent afib currently and may choose to stay here. I'm 55. I was looking for all that info above because I know you have posted before. I want to maximize what I do have. Anyway- if you ever consult as a.. consultant.. let me know. I'd pay for that.
January 19, 2022 07:02PM
Anneh and Joe:

Thanks for that about Hawthorne berries, my Holistic doc. did recommend it to me but I read that it might increase bleeding if on a blood thinner. i take Xerato so i am going to try Hawthorne berries.
January 19, 2022 07:46PM
bettylou4488
Thanks for all that GeorgeN. I really need to digest that. I would actually pay for a consult because I am in constant / permanent afib currently and may choose to stay here. I'm 55. I was looking for all that info above because I know you have posted before. I want to maximize what I do have. Anyway- if you ever consult as a.. consultant.. let me know. I'd pay for that.

I'm happy to tell you what I do and why. Can't suggest what you should do. I have no training & can't charge. I make decisions for myself based upon what I think my situation is and what I perceive the risks and rewards are.

Somebody from the CC's functional medicine group or Liz's Dr. Brownstein in West Bloomfield are professionals that perhaps can actually direct you.

My basic premise is that making metabolism as optimal and pristine as possible is a very high priority. Second is reducing inflammation. As I have autoimmune issues that have occured since birth, eliminating them is a high priority. I'm a "root cause" person and most of medicine is setup to relieve symptoms. I would much rather change my lifestyle than take a pill. I'm generally in a very small minority. But what works for me may not work for others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2022 07:55PM by GeorgeN.
January 19, 2022 08:10PM
Thanks. I used to see Dr. Ng there at Brownsteins' group. seems like maybe we have had this convo before LOL! I didn't love him .. I would love to get into Neusbaum. Right now you can only see PAs and such there. I agree 100% on the root cause. Some of my "root cause" for afib is 5 open heart surgeries.. so can't change that. So trying to maximize what I can. Debating on if I will do the scheduled ablation (I've already said this before so maybe you saw it .. but the one in Oct showed a blood clot that wasn't there). ANyway- with my history- will an ablation help? anyones guess. Truly 50/50. But I still want to maximize what I can. I do see a functional cardiologist and have seen a functional med doc (in addition to Ng). I have to find one I really trust I guess. (I do like the cardiologist a lot- but by admission he doesn't do everything.)

Thanks

GeorgeN

I'm happy to tell you what I do and why. Can't suggest what you should do. I have no training & can't charge. I make decisions for myself based upon what I think my situation is and what I perceive the risks and rewards are.

Somebody from the CC's functional medicine group or Liz's Dr. Brownstein in West Bloomfield are professionals that perhaps can actually direct you.

My basic premise is that making metabolism as optimal and pristine as possible is a very high priority. Second is reducing inflammation. As I have autoimmune issues that have occured since birth, eliminating them is a high priority. I'm a "root cause" person and most of medicine is setup to relieve symptoms. I would much rather change my lifestyle than take a pill. I'm generally in a very small minority. But what works for me may not work for others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login