Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question. Sinus Rhythm with 2nd degree block type 1

Posted by Rob Wilson 
Question. Sinus Rhythm with 2nd degree block type 1
January 17, 2022 04:16PM
I had an echocardiogram last week. Immediately following the echocardiogram, I asked the technician if I was in afib, to which she replied in the affirmative. At my appointment the following day with the PA, he also stated that I was in afib. When I reviewed the results online myself, I noted this on the report: "Rhythm: NSR". The PA added a note to me on the report: “No significant concerns, thank you!” I sent the PA a note back asking for clarification on the discrepancy between the verbal confirmations that I was in afib and the report stating NSR. He stated, “On first glance, it looks like atrial fib but on further examination and looking at it closer, it actually is a sinus rhythm. It's not a normal SR because you have a second degree block which is nothing to worry about. The official name for your rhythm is Sinus Rhythm with 2nd degree block type 1. It sounds bad but it isn't. Now it's probably clear as mud isn't it.”

The PA is correct, it’s clear as mud. Anyone with experience having a “Sinus Rhythm with 2nd degree block type 1”? Thank you.
Re: Question. Sinus Rhythm with 2nd degree block type 1
January 17, 2022 05:48PM
Here is an article: [www.healio.com]

From this link:
"A second-degree type I AV block occurs when conduction within the AV node itself is delayed in this progressive manner. It does not necessarily indicate intrinsic conduction disease, and rarely requires a pacemaker to be implanted. A second-degree type I AV block can be caused by AV blocking medications or increased vagal tone. AV nodal ischemia during an inferior MI can cause AV nodal blocks, as well."

"Common drugs that induce atrioventricular (AV) block include beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, and digoxin. Withdrawal of the offending drugs is the first treatment for heart block. " Source: [emedicine.medscape.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login