Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watchman done! Operating staff sang to me smiling smiley

Posted by tobherd 
Watchman done! Operating staff sang to me smiling smiley
January 13, 2022 07:55PM
Dr. Natale has been up in New York for a few days, so I grabbed the opportunity to have a Watchman implanted while he was here in my area this past Tuesday. Had to arrange rides there and back - thank God for my kids - and was in at 6 am and back out by 5pm. I did have to wait over 5 hours for my turn....but am glad they didn't keep me overnight. Could have been because there were Covid patients on every floor, according to one nurse.... I actually laughed out loud when I went into the operating room, as a nurse said, "Wait...we nurses have something to do first!" and then they all broke out into a Happy Birthday song to me! Haha...and then they knocked me out. I wouldn't have chosen my birthday to get this done, but I had to go when Dr. Natale was available....

It's now two days after the procedure, and I feel a little worse than I did yesterday...more tired, throat is quite sore...lip is a bit swollen...but I'm assuming this is normal and I'll start to feel better again tomorrow...I think the weight of what I just did has shaken me a bit too..as I was wanting to chicken out before I got there, and realize now just what I did...feels like a big deal. The good news is that Dr. Natale didn't see any signs of his prior ablation(s) being "undone"...the "burns were well burned"...otherwise, he would have buttoned things down while in there. No need.

They have me on 2.5 mg of Eliquis now and a baby aspirin for 6 months...with a TEE in between...really hoping they will let me get off all of it after that point. I would hate to think I did all of this just to halve my Eliquis. Anyone with a similar experience?

Barb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 07:57PM by tobherd.
Re: Watchman done! Operating staff sang to me smiling smiley
January 13, 2022 08:37PM
Sure, the sore throat is common after any procedure where you're intubated. It will pass. Not sure why the fatigue two days out, but everyone's different, and it too will pass.

I'm just glad to hear you went through with it and came out with flying colors! smiling smiley

That TEE in between is important. Its purpose is to make sure the device is correctly positioned, there are no leaks, and no clots on the device. If you get a checkmark on all of those, what will happen at 6 months is you will have a decision to make. Your choices will probably be 1) 1/2 dose Eliquis for life, 2) aspirin for life, 3) nothing for life.

Choice #3 will probably be a perfectly valid choice for you. I would not choose #2 because it is less safe than #1.
January 13, 2022 10:26PM
Yes, glad it's over and now to get the OK that all is fine with the TEE. Why would they want anyone to continue on Eliquis or aspirin after getting the Watchman? I would assume we would have the same stroke risk after getting it as any other person who never had Afib to begin with, no? .

No blood thinners needed before Afib. Successful Ablation, then Watchman should = no blood thinners needed again...no?
January 14, 2022 12:18AM
tobherd
Yes, glad it's over and now to get the OK that all is fine with the TEE. Why would they want anyone to continue on Eliquis or aspirin after getting the Watchman? I would assume we would have the same stroke risk after getting it as any other person who never had Afib to begin with, no? .

No blood thinners needed before Afib. Successful Ablation, then Watchman should = no blood thinners needed again...no?

I thought I explained all this before... more than once. I'll look for my previous replies later but no time right now. In the meantime, please emphasize the word I used in your mind -- "choice." Medicine isn't a black and white thing. There is a right answer for everyone hardly ever. You need to find the solution that works for you, not some sort of textbook answer that doesn't exist in this case.
January 14, 2022 10:47AM
So sorry, Carey..i didn't see your replies to this concern on another post. That explained it, so never mind on this question here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 11:01AM by tobherd.
January 14, 2022 11:08AM
If you missed Carey’s answer.

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]
January 14, 2022 12:21PM
Barb congrats! And all the best in your healing. Which you will! Question: where will you have the 45 day TEE? And if its not Natale then who calls the shots thereafter? I ask as im on the same path 2/16 in Austin but if all goes well would prefer my 45 day TEE here in Charlotte by my EP Dr Holshouser who assures me he’s adept at it
Tom
January 14, 2022 06:13PM
thanks, Tomsmiling smiley I will go back to the same hospital in NY where Dr. Natale's protege, Dr. DiBiase, will do the TEE. I have had several TEE's at this same hospital in the past, as I don't trust the local EP's to do it...and Dr. Natale gives his blessing to Dr. DiBiase and his staff.

Glad you'll be getting Dr. Natale to do your Watchman too, Tom - that's great!

Barb
January 14, 2022 06:34PM
Peggy use to make a search easier by adding “list” to the topic. Now we have a NY EP recommendation from Dr. N himself!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login