Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is cardiac tele-health appointments with cardiologists really free with Medicare?

Posted by susan.d 
Is cardiac tele-health appointments with cardiologists really free with Medicare?
January 12, 2022 06:04PM
My local ep charges me (my co-pay exists) for each tele-appointment (video). I just saw this and non covid related telehealth is included. Shouldn’t it be free? It says Medicare will cover it.

[www.kff.org]

What telehealth benefits are covered by Medicare, and how much do beneficiaries pay?
Based on new waiver authority included in the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act (and as amended by the CARES Act) the HHS Secretary has waived certain restrictions on Medicare coverage of telehealth services for traditional Medicare beneficiaries during the coronavirus public health emergency. The waiver, effective for services starting on March 6, 2020, allows beneficiaries in any geographic area to receive telehealth services; allows beneficiaries to remain in their homes for telehealth visits reimbursed by Medicare; allows telehealth visits to be delivered via smartphone with real-time audio/video interactive capabilities in lieu of other equipment; and removes the requirement that providers of telehealth services have treated the beneficiary receiving these services in the last three years. A separate provision in the CARES Act allows federally qualified health centers and rural health clinics to provide telehealth services to Medicare beneficiaries during the COVID-19 emergency period.

Telehealth services are not limited to COVID-19 related services, and can include regular office visits, mental health counseling, and preventive health screenings. During the emergency period, Medicare will also cover some evaluation and management, behavioral health, and patient education services provided to patients via audio-only telephone.
Re: Is cardiac tele-health appointments with cardiologists really free with Medicare?
January 12, 2022 08:05PM
I can't answer your question, but here is our experience (I'm on Medicare, my wife isn't of that age yet).

We have remotely consulted with a doc in CA for years. He has 3 levels of charges.

1. In office, which he accepts insurance/Medicare.
2. Remote, which is cash pay per consult.
3. Concierge, which is an annual fee.

Around April/May 2020, we had to sign a form saying we understood our remote consults were cash pay.

Not sure whether different care levels are billed through different entities. I'm 98% confident the concierge service is, though I don't use it.

I would presume you'd need to at least pay the non-Medicare part of the charge, or have your supplemental insurance cover it.
Re: Is cardiac tele-health appointments with cardiologists really free with Medicare?
January 14, 2022 07:52PM
Yes. I’ve had one cardiologist appointment on video and Medicare paid for it. I’ve had quite a few other video appointments with other doctors. All paid by Medicare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 07:53PM by Brian_og.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login